The VG Resource

Full Version: Droe's sprites. Check the newest post! CC always appreciated.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! I've been quite the lurker here on this website, and I finally decided to share some of my work here!
I've been spriting for about 4 1/2 years now, and I want to believe I've made progress.
I don't quite understand this website's posting settings so I might have to make a giant wall of images, so sorry!
Fire Emblem
[Image: large_by_droe747-dbwv476.png]Robin
[Image: large2_by_droe747-dbwv46a.png]Azura
[Image: large_by_droe747-dbx64rq.png]Lucina
[Image: mnfcorrinlarge_by_droe747-dbx64z7.png]Corrin
Doki Doki Liturature Club!
[Image: doki_doki__by_droe747-dbx26dx.png]
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[Image: woods2_by_droe747-dbwv2ya.png]
RWBY:
[Image: roobi_by_droe747-dbwv1hy.png]
There is a lot more than just these, but these are my best work IMO
Constructive criticism appreciated!
My suspicion is that for some sprites, for instance on clothing and hair, you are not using a 1 pixel brush of solid colour, but transparent brushes/burn tool to add darker areas to a sprite? Sprites should always be done with 1 pixel solid brushes. Shades should be picked manually and applied in the same fashion.

Some parts of your sprites have these issues, while others do not. For instance, Azura's face is just one pink, as it should be + 1 darker shade. Azura's hair has more than 8 colours of blue, but really only 2 can be detected because they are all so similar. From what I can tell, you created the darker "shading" on the hair with the process described above.
(12-21-2017, 08:00 PM)Silversea Wrote: [ -> ]Some sprites, for instance on clothing and hair, you are not using a 1 pixel brush of solid colour, but transparent brushes/burn tool to add darker areas to a sprite?
Thank you for the reply!
Yeah, I do shading with a 1-pixel brush of a transparent black to do shading.
I will redo some shading on a few of my sprites to get a feel for what you are saying.
Oh my god
it's the same ugly base model for every pixel art you made.
i'd suggest looking at pictures of people and trying to draw them, to learn how facial features work
(12-27-2017, 11:58 AM)Kendotlibero Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my god
it's the same ugly base model for every pixel art you made.
i'd suggest looking at pictures of people and trying to draw them, to learn how facial features work

Hey, thanks for replying! I totally understand the point you're making here.
I do use the same head for every sprite I make. I see how that makes them look pretty repetitive (and ugly)
There would be the obvious escape route of "But spriting makes working out tiny details very limited" which kinda applies here, but it does not mean I cant have variation.
Making diversity between faces will be the thing I will try to work on from now.
(12-28-2017, 01:09 AM)Droe Wrote: [ -> ]Making diversity between faces will be the thing I will try to work on from now.
I didn't mean 9 months Sick

Anyway here's an update from my hiatus.

Redo of Lucina (with a new face)

[Image: a9989ec89c0c4377ac34dbe02239d5db-dcolwf0.png]
And an idle animation
[Image: c8f6d7655c6e411a8b6920e922e87ba9-dcop01a.gif]
Lemme know what you think.
You’ve definitely improved since the first post. Your colors still look washed out though, and her torso is super cluttered and has readability problems.
I think looking up some color theory tutorials might help you get a better understanding of how you can play with it, riding off of Ton's point

Also don't be afraid to consider doing things outside of your own comfort zone. While I do see what ton is saying in regards to improvement, I do wonder what would happen if you played around with other body types and steered away from doing anime-ish styled sprites.

I do look forward to more of your work. I think you did good this time around.
(10-06-2018, 08:09 AM)DioShiba Wrote: [ -> ]I think looking up some color theory tutorials might help you get a better understanding of how you can play with it, riding off of Ton's point

Also don't be afraid to consider doing things outside of your own comfort zone. While I do see what ton is saying in regards to improvement, I do wonder what would happen if you played around with other body types and steered away from doing anime-ish styled sprites.

I do look forward to more of your work. I think you did good this time around.

Definitely will research on colors a bit more.
I could try to branch out more, I'm a bit of a weeb though lol.

and thank you!

(10-06-2018, 07:53 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]You’ve definitely improved since the first post. Your colors still look washed out though, and her torso is super cluttered and has readability problems.

Thank you!
and yeah I kinda just used the color picker on Lucina's Smash Ultimate render for the colors.
Yeah, the chest is a little hectic and I tried to fix all addressed problems with this updated ver.

[Image: ton_editbig_by_droe747-dcoshdo.png]
I also made her taller and cleaned up the hem of her tunic a little, among other things.
something seems off with her pose but I'll get to that later. So for now,
Lemme know if I missed anything (I am no the brightest person)
also, lemme know whatcha think.
UpadatueaA:

Lucina:

[Image: ton_editbig_by_droe747-dcpkbm5.png]

Idle GIF

[Image: ea35d4f76b3d398cb379392efd22af0a-dcpkayf.gif]

Looks choppy, But I'm just a kid messing around in paint.net with no prior experience.
But, that's why I need some good old-fashioned constructive criticism!
so it doesn't look bad!
Lemme know what you think. Heart
im back after like 17 years
Zero Suit Samus.
[Image: PYQ17K4.png]
Tell me whatcha think :p
(01-25-2019, 02:36 AM)Droe Wrote: [ -> ]im back after like 17 years
Zero Suit Samus.
[Image: PYQ17K4.png]

These might look good with a bit less selective outlining on the legs, but they are overall fine. And I see that you could improve in the animation department, such as perhaps subpixel animation in certain areas. Also, considering that you seem to be taking requests, Howe about Aoi Asahina front DanganRonpa?
I would like to see the Breath of the Wild Link with a sprite sheet.
(01-25-2019, 02:36 AM)Droe Wrote: [ -> ]im back after like 17 years
Zero Suit Samus.

Little to no bone structure there. Try looking at some real life figures of athletic women to get a grasp what her body needs.
Also be mindful of your color usage, you have a lot of pointless and similar colors in your sprites. If they aren't there to define anything like muscles or lighting you don't need them. It's tempting to add more colors when you're working on something zoomed in, so zoom out often and see how it looks natively. Check out the spriting dictionary in the important threads section.
Hope this helps.
Back again after another 17 years. I'd like to thank you guys for your input, as it did indeed help.
I would like to apologize that I will not be taking requests because of some bad history, and such I will remove it from the title.
The ZSS sprite is fairly old, but here's my latest version of my ZSS sprite, and a few others as well.
[Image: AHtGLVd.png]
[Image: W7o61uA.png]
[Image: 6xxfikm.png]
I am experimenting with animation, but failing pretty spectacularly. any advice on how to start with that would be great aswell.
I would greatly appreciate criticism as I only want to improve.
Thanks in advance Heart