The VG Resource

Full Version: Legend of Zelda Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I think it is about time to get used to TSR. This was an old project of mine that I recently thought of getting started with again. To put it simple, a side scrolling Legend of Zelda game. Link's Awakening was my first LOZ game that I owned (I played the first two on NES at friend's houses back then) and it stuck with me as one of my favorites. That is why I am using a GB palette for now. I will decide to add more color later on or a possibly creative way to introduce it.

I forget what items are completely original or if I edited anything. The characters are totally from scratch though.

[Image: octorokiq5.png] [Image: oct1kh1.gif] [Image: mushroombomberwh6.png]
[Image: junkvp8.png]

I will be thinking of a plot and stuff to continue and know what direction to take this in time. I really need to figure out Link's walking animation though. Get that done.
I remember this. Cool stuff. Didn't we end up with you making the backgrounds coloured though? Or did I miss the acutal conclusion?
(12-16-2008, 09:57 PM)Drei Wrote: [ -> ]I remember this. Cool stuff. Didn't we end up with you making the backgrounds coloured though? Or did I miss the acutal conclusion?

I think we did make a conclusion but I was not really sure. Never really decided if I wanted colors or not for the background or elsewhere. I do plan on experimenting with that more though. It's been a while so my memory is a little fuzzy.
Well, if this is indeed a project, it should be in the Sprite Projects forum instead of here in Discussion.

It looks good so far, though.
Love this.
Might I suggest to move the light reflex on tze bomb one pixel to the right?

Nice stuff Cute
The sprites for Link look like they're rips / based off of the DX version's photos, like on this sheet.

Otherwise, it's a nice start. Looks like the items are a bit Minish Cap-ed.
Great to see this again, I coulda sworn you had more done though.
I think that if you can just recreate all the animations from the side scrolling bits of LA, it'd be enough for Link. Maybe a few extras, but yeah.
Enemies, now there lies some thinking for you really. Just use Zelda 2 for your inspiration... But very loosely. I repeat. VERY loosely.

These are great though, love the style. Reminds me of an animated version of one of the photo op scenes.
This was one of my favorite projects on PT, hope to see it finished.
(12-17-2008, 12:52 AM)omegakyogre Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if this is indeed a project, it should be in the Sprite Projects forum instead of here in Discussion.

It looks good so far, though.
I had a feeling I was posting in the wrong section. My bad.
(12-17-2008, 01:49 AM)BanefulKid Wrote: [ -> ]Might I suggest to move the light reflex on tze bomb one pixel to the right?

Nice stuff Cute
I probably will be redrawing it for reasons below. But yes it would make sense.
(12-17-2008, 02:07 AM)Miles07 Wrote: [ -> ]Otherwise, it's a nice start. Looks like the items are a bit Minish Cap-ed.
Yeah I think I remember that I edited some of the Minish Cap items to fit. I probably will redraw them to fit my style a bit better or just to be more original.
(12-17-2008, 04:00 AM)Arthur Wrote: [ -> ]Great to see this again, I coulda sworn you had more done though.
I might have... will have to check my archive.
(12-17-2008, 06:41 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]I think that if you can just recreate all the animations from the side scrolling bits of LA, it'd be enough for Link. Maybe a few extras, but yeah.
Enemies, now there lies some thinking for you really. Just use Zelda 2 for your inspiration... But very loosely. I repeat. VERY loosely.

These are great though, love the style. Reminds me of an animated version of one of the photo op scenes.
While I could just make Link just jump and slash, I could take him further. The whole game is a side scroller so that means that is the main focus unlike just a few extra rooms in LA. I do plan on making Link learn new sword moves as the game progresses like a down piercing slash for example. Then there is the various other weapons.

I think I remember talking about a power gauge that will allow Link to do some special moves in a manner similar to Link's final smash in Brawl. I am not so sure about using Zelda II for inspiration. The game always felt so limited.

Not that I expect to actually code a game or anything. Tongue

EDIT: I should mention that I am working on his walking animation now. That has been very tricky for me. Such stumpy legs. o.o

EDIT2: Found a few more enemies that I did. And yes, that's a Phanto. Much like LA, I will reference other Nintendo games where fitting. I figured that a Phanto will fit with the game as it would awaken when Link finds a specific key in a dungeon.

[Image: lemenygx7.png]
(12-17-2008, 11:15 AM)Josiah Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-16-2008, 09:51 PM)sgraff Wrote: [ -> ]I will be thinking of a plot and stuff to continue and know what direction to take this in time.
I have a great plot idea:

You're a regular kid named Link who lives a peasant's life in a small house. Out of nowhere, the princess Zelda is kidnapped by an evil force named Ganon, after which the world you live in is filled with evil enemies and darkness. It's your duty to go rescue her, so you fight your way through various dungeons, meeting a bunch of different people and collecting all kinds of weapons and items. When you find Ganon, you fight and kill him, but then he comes back as a stronger enemy. After you fight and defeat him again, the princess is rescued and everything goes back to the way it was, ridding the world of the darkness.

Pretty good, eh?

Btw, I love that style. It seems very retro manga-ish. Cute

I saw that coming. I probably should put out what I had in mind so far.

Essentially my might not have Ganon at all. I am thinking a no with Zelda as well. Was thinking about a curse being spread around Hyrule putting people and town into perpetual sleep caused by nightmares (again with the LA references 9_9). So basically Link will have to travel into a dream zone or something to travel into a dungeon and destroy the nightmare to break the sleeping curses. Something like that. I also had the idea of the pond fairies being corrupted into powerful anti-fairies (an enemy that appears in other LOZ games) which might be the bosses at the end of the dungeons. Of course defeating them will break their curses as well.

I have not decided on returning characters. But I do want to bring back Link's uncle.
As for move inspiration then, might I suggest looking at Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube?
You could basically do something similar to the puzzles, with items that give you abilities to get past certain areas, and so you have to travel and stuff. I can't explain it, but if you play the game, you might get me.

Essentially, it's be a Zelda platformer. To every degree using a Zelda style engine then because it was used by Nintendo. Only very limited and combining both overhead and sidescrolling.
(12-17-2008, 02:48 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]As for move inspiration then, might I suggest looking at Four Swords Adventures on Gamecube?
You could basically do something similar to the puzzles, with items that give you abilities to get past certain areas, and so you have to travel and stuff. I can't explain it, but if you play the game, you might get me.

Essentially, it's be a Zelda platformer. To every degree using a Zelda style engine then because it was used by Nintendo. Only very limited and combining both overhead and sidescrolling.
Yeah... I watched my brother play that game. My memory of it is a bit fuzzy and I probably could find clips of it on youtube but cant you just only hold like one item at a time and the stages are, well, stages? I think there was a side scrolling stage in a tower as well. I might have to look into that. But if you mean having puzzles based on Link's items he collects throughout the game, I think that is something not too new to a LOZ game and is pretty much a given.

Not... sure what the message of the second part of your statement means. Sorry about that.

EDIT: For all of you who said that it has a retro look to the designs, yeah I wanted to go with that. Mostly LA inspired in all.
Hey, I remember those! Good to see you again!
Pages: 1 2