The VG Resource

Full Version: One question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was wondering how do you guys generally start drawing your sprite, do you start off with like some sort of basic figure. or do you just go straight to drawing the sprite freehand no preperation
sprite without preparation is a bad move, so I choose the first option.
This doesn't belong in site discussion at all.
Uhh what i do is choose a image as a guide but i use images dont you ever use other people sprites as a guide thats stealing so go to google image google wat ever sprite you want to make get tha image i start off with the head and work down. Its really good methad if you want to try that out.
Personally, I just go straight away and draw an outline, with no prior planning or figure sans what's in my head.

Keep in mind I'm currently working on a Gooey sprite sheet, so there's not much planning that needs to go into a ... squished circle. That said, it's the same process I've used to create other, more complex sprites...

And, allow me to reiterate that this is line art that I'm starting with. It's not like you're going to wind up with a finished sprite immediately after sketching it.
Echoing the general "sketch first" viewpoint.

Its not too much different from the process of a regular non-sprite drawing. Rough sketch > Line-art > flat color > finished product. And just like with regular art, it helps to have a general knowledge of proportions and especially lighting. The way you shade can make or break your image. On that note, its helpful to look at refs of real things. Look at how light falls on a face from different positions and study it so when you go to draw/pixel a face, you'll have an idea how to shade it.