The VG Resource

Full Version: HELP!! Luigi's Mansion MDL Model Ripping.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have managed to successfully extract the Luigi's Mansion .szp files and found some new files inside .mdl is what i'm trying to rip. I know it's not a Source Engine .mdl file I know that they changed the extension so there would be no hacking of the models. And I have seen lots of ripped Luigi's Mansion models on The Models Resource and I know that they are .mdl rips but I can't figure out how to open and rip the .mdl file. Please show me where to find a program to open the files. Other people have managed to do it because I've seen lots of the downloadable Luigi's Mansion models and I want to open them. PLEASE HELP!!
Someone, please answer... I know that tons of people go on the VG resource every day. This topic must be long forgotten. All the Luigi's Mansion model ripping threads are empty, why! Is it just bad luck or are there much better video game ripping/designing sites. Yes, this is an intimidation you smell VG resource creators! Are people too lazy to reply to outdated, long forgotten questions? I'm assuming that if nobody responds. Seriously though, somebody reply to me. Or else... I will... Move to another video game ripping site! DUN DUN DUNNNN! Answer me plz.
Someone please respond!! I'll do anything!!
What console are you trying to rip from? The gamecube version? Also, im unsure if there is any .mdl readers out there, i have some .mdl files myself but i couldnt do much with them.
I know that a guy named SpaceCats made a python script for Blender that allows you to import mdls, but it only shows the vertices. It doesn't show textures or faces. I've used it to get a general feel of what I'm looking at when I'm trying to actually hack the game and edit stuff, but it's not very practical for exporting. I could send the script if you want, but you'll have to download Python and Blender yourself.
Well there is a python script called mdl2obj and it converts the mdl to obj and dumps the textures. It won't work for me though. Is there something I need to do to make it work?? Can someone show me how to get this python script working? I installed python but nothing else... I would appreciate someone showing me how to get this script working. But I would really appreciate someone converting it to a working exe and provide a download link.
(11-22-2017, 07:01 PM)SniperDude2745 Wrote: [ -> ]Well there is a python script called mdl2obj and it converts the mdl to obj and dumps the textures. It won't work for me though. Is there something I need to do to make it work?? Can someone show me how to get this python script working? I installed python but nothing else... I would appreciate someone showing me how to get this script working. But I would really appreciate someone converting it to a working exe and provide a download link.

I just remembered that this thread existed. Yeah I'll try looking into mdl2obj when I have the chance.
Currently looking into getting the models from Luigi's Mansion too. I'd be very interested to see any updates
(12-01-2017, 01:29 PM)Manters Wrote: [ -> ]Currently looking into getting the models from Luigi's Mansion too. I'd be very interested to see any updates

I think I've figured it out. You need to install NumPy and Python, and use this command in the command line:
python mdl2obj.py model.mdl

Replace model.mdl with whatever the name of the model is. Make sure the mdl and the script are in the same folder.

i.e. python mdl2obj.py luige.mdl
Ok, where do I get numpy and can you provide an exact tutorial on your youtube channel to help. Can you convert the .py file to a .exe file where you can drag and drop the .mdl onto it to convert the models and textures? Or something like that. I have been trying to open luigi's mansion .mdl format for ages. But I don't understand file types. I don't know how hex and ACSII encoding works. I don't know how to make ways to open different variations of unknown file formats. For example I am trying to open various unknown texture, model, and sound formats but I don't know how people would do this. Seriously how do you open unknown formats of different variations like audio, texture etc? I am getting tired of asking for some way rather than making my own!!!!
How do I install numpy? All I get is a .whl file when I click the download link.
(12-08-2017, 05:24 PM)SniperDude2745 Wrote: [ -> ]How do I install numpy? All I get is a .whl file when I click the download link.
https://datanitro.com/blog/python_on_windows

Also, I don't know how to convert a python script to exe, sorry.
(12-15-2017, 06:12 PM)TheBrandonMaster2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2017, 05:24 PM)SniperDude2745 Wrote: [ -> ]How do I install numpy? All I get is a .whl file when I click the download link.
https://datanitro.com/blog/python_on_windows

Also, I don't know how to convert a python script to exe, sorry.

Well, I am not really aiming at converting the python script to .exe. I just can't figure out how to install numpy. When I click the numpy download link I download a .whl file and Utorrent thinks it can open it. So I just want to get numpy working so I can convert and open the Luigi's Mansion .MDL files
Ok, never mind I figured it out.