The VG Resource

Full Version: Pallette Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can never seem to choose pallettes correctly. Every time I do it, I always end up choosing bad colors and whatever I'm doing ends up looking mspaint-ish colored. Even when I try to stray away from mspaint default zones, it still ends up looking bad. Maybe I just don't have the eye for color that some of you do here, but I can never seem to get colors to "flow".

Any tips, ideas, etc?

What I'm currently trying to make palettes for is:
1. A simple red color. Somewhat on the pinkish end, but still red.
2. A darkish blue color. Not too dark, but somewhat close to purple, but still recognizable as blue.
3. A regular skin tone. In between white and tan.
4. A brownish-tan color, more on the brown side. In other words, the color of wood.
5. A dark pale yellow. Hard to explain.
6. A regular pale purple color.
7. A dark blue color. The color of jeans.
8. A simple white.

This is all for one piece that I'm doing, but I can't seem to get it right. I going for 4-5 shades per hue, without the crazy yellow-red-purple hueshifting. I can't seem to get a normal palette though.

Any help?

in b4 request but I just need advice. If someone chooses to make a pallette then that's their choice.
You could try making your colors first, then people can make edits of those colors.
Ah. Good idea.

[Image: Palette.png]

edit- I'm also using 0,0,0 black outlines on my art. (Yes, I know a lot of you hate it, but whatever.) What would be a good 4 colors to use for the color black, that you can use but still allow you to clearly see the 0,0,0 outline? I can't seem to figure this one out at all without making it so bright that it looks gray instead of black, which messes it up.
Well, I took a crack at it and changed 1, 3, 5, and 6. The others looked good to me.
[Image: Palette.png]

Also, with regard to your 'black colors' question: Instead of using a completely desaturated gray for your 'black but not black' color, I'd try fully saturating to a color that matches its surroundings, while making it maybe a tick or two above black. You can usually notice the color difference without affecting the brightness too much.

Which 4 colors you choose depends upon where you're going to put said color.
[Image: palette2jy7.png]
I changed all but the middle one. I hope this works for you, I didn't know if you wanted them saturated or not, so I removed a bit of the saturation. There is a bit of hue shift, but not too much.
I did my own palette help some while ago, when I was studying to draw a Teen Titans fan-comic. It's a bit messy but it might be helpful. I picked the colors from the cartoon version's sheets themselves.

[Image: image1rj0.png]
Read this, Vipershark

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/...opic=922.0
It's very helpful when you know its a Pixelation thread.