The VG Resource

Full Version: Hello! :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nice to meet you guys. My name is Rufas. Just now, when I am browsing spriters-resource . com , I noticed you guys doesn't have any sprites for SaGa Frontier 2 (for PlayStation). Well, I managed to decode some sprites directly from the game files. Do you guys want them? And, how do I post new sprites to the forum? Is there a post format I need to follow...?

Thanks!
- Rufas
Hello and welcome! We always appreciate when people join so they can contribute to the site. Submissions are actually done directly through the site itself. Just click on PlayStation on the left, then the Add New Game button and you should be able to fill out a form for the game. Once the game is submitted, you can submit sheets to it as well. Let me know if you have any questions!
I'm sorry. I couldn't find the "Add New Game button" you mentioned. May be that is an admin only option?

And by the way, the sheets are named after in-game disc filenames. Should I ask for help to tag the files first?

Does these looks OK?

[Image: ALLCHR.TCL_zpswbacxo8r.png]

[Image: REL%20HERO000_zps1scib65p.png]

- Rufas
How To Submit

As the page says, check out the What Makes A Good Submission page (and its TSR subpage) for some general guidelines, and things like how to make icons.

The main criticism I have for your sheet is the black background; change it to something like magenta or cyan, or some other colour that isn't too bright or dark and doesn't conflict with the sheet. In terms of naming, the files can be called anything, once you submit the sheets to the site you can name them appropriately.
You do need to be logged into tSR to see the Add Game button. If you're logged into the forum, you should also be logged into the sites but ad-blockers often break the login script so you won't see it if the login failed.
@puggsoy Thanks! That's the link I have been searching for but failed to find it anywhere I clicked. This is great!

Question: what is the color code for cyan or magenta? And how do I know if it doesn't conflict with the sheet? Sorry for not being a very artistic person, my fellow designer once called me "a programmer who make ugly graphics", so I don't really good at image editing...

Another dumb question: And since PNG support transparency, why can't the background to be transparent instead? I mean tSR have a very nice site design, with a carefully chosen background color designed to display the sheets for its best viewing experience, why not use transparent background to accumulate that?

@Petie I finally able to see that! Thanks! You are great!

A confused question: Do I really need to make icons? Aren't those are auto-generated like image thumbnails? Yikes! I'm not good at these...

A really dumb question: Can I just put the files here and let you guys to submit it instead?

Thanks!
- Rufas
Icons are optional but definitely result in your submissions being looked at sooner. They're not auto-generated because there's not any single consistent way to do it but they're not difficult to make if you already have the sheet in front of you and the icons themselves are just the image, not the border or text (which is auto-generated). Game icons I guess are a little less straightforward but shouldn't be terribly difficult either. Like I said though, they are optional. Not including them won't result in your submission being rejected. It just might take longer to be reviewed.

As for posting them here, you can do so for feedback but the purpose of the on-site submission system is to reduce the workload for the staff so we no longer accept submissions via the forum.
@Petie Just submitted the sheets. There are 53 of them. Please let me know if I did something wrong along the way.

Thanks!
- Rufas
(07-15-2017, 12:46 PM)rufaswan Wrote: [ -> ]@puggsoy Thanks! That's the link I have been searching for but failed to find it anywhere I clicked. This is great!

Question: what is the color code for cyan or magenta? And how do I know if it doesn't conflict with the sheet? Sorry for not being a very artistic person, my fellow designer once called me "a programmer who make ugly graphics", so I don't really good at image editing...

Another dumb question: And since PNG support transparency, why can't the background to be transparent instead? I mean tSR have a very nice site design, with a carefully chosen background color designed to display the sheets for its best viewing experience, why not use transparent background to accumulate that?

Colour code for magenta is #ff00ff and for cyan is #00ffff; these are often recommended since they're unlikely to conflict, but any colour (that isn't too dark or bright) should be fine. To check if the colour conflicts you can use the colour selection tool (this is what it's called in GIMP, not sure about other programs). Just select the background and check if any part of the sprites are selected.

The reason we prefer opaque background is because historically (and still today) not everybody who uses the sheets uses (or is able to use) a program that supports transparency. While this is admittedly a bit rarer today, it's something that's always been done and there's no real reason to change it, since manually removing the background is not terribly hard if that's wanted. Also, carefully chosen background colours can complement the sprites nicely and just make sheets much more pleasant to view.
@puggsoy Thanks for some history lesson there! I just remembered some web servers are not friendly to transparent images. They will try to re-compress the uploaded images to save a few KB of bandwidth, and due to bad scripting, the resulted image will lost its transparency and was replaced with black background. Having an opaque background will prevent this kind of problem from happening.

A funny little side note: if you go to "Castlevania Portrait of Ruin" (DS/DSi), under Enemies section, from Armor Knight -> Bat -> Blood Skeleton, the background color goes from dark green -> green -> blueish green. That is so... colorful. It is like every submitter have their own signature background color Smile

Thanks,
- Rufas