The VG Resource

Full Version: Breaking Into Song: The Musical Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any musicals you guys like?
If so, feel free to post about your favorite live performances, recordings, or films here(animated musicals are welcome too).

I'm going to get the ball rolling with my favorite musical Urinetown: The Musical. It's a musical focused on a fictional town(the town is not called Urinetown by the way) that was hit terribly by a crippling water shortage. To regulate water consumption, private restrooms became illegal and the only way to do your private business was to pay a fee to use a public toilet. It's a pretty funny musical with some great music so I hope you guys give it a shot even though the title is terrible.

i've seen two live at broadway: wicked and kinky boots. they're pretty darn adorable
and since you say animation is welcome...i caught glimpse of cats don't dance when was younger, and i'd been meaning to watch it in full cuz it has quite the cult following. my all-time favorite animated musical is the chipmunk adventure. just cuz it was the best depiction of the chipmunks and chipettes like...EVER.
I vaguely remember watching Cats Don't Dance when I was little. I think I'll have to watch it again sometime.
This is an easy one for me to answer, The Rocky Horror Picture show. That's been my favourite musical since I was...well, since I was too young to really understand anything about it. I was singing Sweet Transvestite while I was still in a pushchair.

Of course some honorable mentions from me would be A Nightmare Before Christmas, with a little nod towards Mulan just for sticking out from the other Disney stuff. And the amazing musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but I don't think I should count that since it's a one-off thing in a TV series. (but it's still great)

Also, technically I'm stretching the definition here, but Repo! The Genetic Opera is honestly fantastic (save for one or two songs I'm not so big on) and everyone should see it. As the title suggests it's not actually a musical though, it's an opera, which is to say there's no spoken dialogue and the story is told entirely through the songs.
For me it sticks with me for not just being a great movie in the first place, but especially if someone just flatly isn't into musicals or opera it's a fantastic way of showing that it's not all broadway showtunes and classical pieces in Italian.
Not too big a fan of musicals to be perfectly honest. Unless you count Disney movies, I love Aladdin.

But yeah in general, musicals aren't really my cup of tea.
My sister and one of my co-workers currently hate me because I said I thought Rock-a-doodle was bad.
I thought it was kind of weird when I was little and never really liked it.