The VG Resource

Full Version: Disregard this title
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I should start doing sprites of people with Megaman animations, I'm better at that.
Here's #1 Picoman
Look guys! Megaman edits!
That break the 8-bit rule!
Surprise is that bad, breaking the 8-bit rule?
Well it makes them not qualify for being called 8bit. And uh, these are megaman edits, and not very quality anyhow.
well, I was originally going to put these in a flash. The guy is Pico, if you didn't know. I didn't attempt to make "the best chunk of pixel that was ever invented!", It was for a contest that was cancelled and I'm too much of a pack rat to delete it or whatever. 'Sides I mostly edit sprites anyhow. So... what type of bit would this be considered as? Btw, these weren't my best ones. My better ones got deleted when my computer crashed.
How convenient.
It's not so much that its not 8-bit, as that is a rather broad term. It is not however, NES limitations, which is clearly what you were going for with edits of an NES sprite.

Most important rule: 3 colors. No more, no less. Of course there are exceptions, Megaman being one of them. He gets by by using a separate sprite for his face using skin color instead of blue. But this cause other problems, namely the flicker fest that Megaman games were when running. And that was only 2 layers, the 8 colors in your sprite would require 3, possibly more as they aren't conveniently arranged.
More importantly it ruins the NES aesthetic you're trying to convey.

Other big issue: the actual colors used. 90% of pixel related injuries (and some 70% of fatalities) are caused by the use of MSPaint default colors, don't use them. The NES has a palette, it is required.
Also it lacks shading. Usually 8-bit sprites have some shading.
NES shading is usually pretty minimal (completely lacking in the megaman sprites he edited)

GBC era 8bit tends to have more shading and anti-aliasing and such.