The VG Resource

Full Version: River City Ransom Underground
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After ripping Mode B Abobo for Double Dragon on the NES, I decided it might be fun to rip Abobo's sprites from the newly-released awesome brawler River City Ransom Underground.

I've already submitted this sheet, so I need no help for Abobo (unless you spot a missing sprite or some kind of error on the ones I submitted, in which case I'll gladly re-submit and credit you for the fix).

However, as you can see, in spite of its NES aesthetic, this game has quite complex animations for all its characters. There's no way I can find the time to rip every single character for this game (although I plan to contribute some more in the future). So this thread can be used to coordinate rips of the game for anyone else interested in contributing.

This game features 46 playable characters, most of which have multiple skins, as well as several dozen NPCs, not to mention a variety of backgrounds.

I'll start by listing each fighter in this post and the status of their rips, and I'll update this post every time I or someone else submits a sheet. I'll add information about NPCs as those come in. Obviously if you haven't played this game yet (you should!), spoilers ahead.

Fighters
Story Characters
Glen - Wanted
Paul - Wanted
Provie - Wanted
Bruno - Wanted
Mike - Wanted
Rudy - Wanted
Chris - Wanted
Wes - Wanted

Arena Characters

Agents - Wanted
Backers - Wanted
Bombers - Wanted
Luchas - Wanted
Nerds - Wanted
Rich Kids - Wanted
Roids - Wanted
Vixens - Wanted
Squids - Wanted
Cowboys - Wanted
The Plague - Wanted
Warlocks - Wanted
Abobo - Full Rip
Ivan - Wanted
Otis - Wanted
Tex - Wanted
Dragon Twins - Wanted
Simon - Wanted
Adam - Wanted
Alexis - Wanted
Calvin - Wanted
Coach Otis - Wanted
Dr. D - Wanted
Ether - Wanted
Me (bully) - Wanted
Pink Bee - Wanted
Purple Bee - Wanted
Proto - Wanted
Slick - Wanted
Sentinel - Wanted

Other
Street Thugs - Wanted
Dr. D Final Form - Wanted
I wouldn't mind taking a look at this, how are you going about ripping the sprites though?
I've been doing it the most painstakingly backwards way imaginable, no doubt: I've been recording myself playing in the training arena in Fraps and going frame by frame through the video to get each individual sprite, then removing the background elements. I've been very thorough, but it's understandably very inefficient.
I'd be interested in seeing if there's a way to rip the sprites directly, if you'd be able to provide some files you think might contain them. It would make it both much easier to rip and less error prone.
I would wager the graphics are spread between the "animations.rcru" file and the Palettes subfolder of the game folder, but I can't be sure.

[Image: IXw9TZN.png]
Dazz sent me the decompressed textures.rcru. I'll look into it tomorrow.
(03-26-2017, 04:46 AM)Mr. L Wrote: [ -> ]After ripping Mode B Abobo for Double Dragon on the NES, I decided it might be fun to rip Abobo's sprites from the newly-released awesome brawler River City Ransom Underground.

I've already submitted this sheet, so I need no help for Abobo (unless you spot a missing sprite or some kind of error on the ones I submitted, in which case I'll gladly re-submit and credit you for the fix).

However, as you can see, in spite of its NES aesthetic, this game has quite complex animations for all its characters. There's no way I can find the time to rip every single character for this game (although I plan to contribute some more in the future). So this thread can be used to coordinate rips of the game for anyone else interested in contributing.

This game features 46 playable characters, most of which have multiple skins, as well as several dozen NPCs, not to mention a variety of backgrounds.

I'll start by listing each fighter in this post and the status of their rips, and I'll update this post every time I or someone else submits a sheet. I'll add information about NPCs as those come in. Obviously if you haven't played this game yet (you should!), spoilers ahead.

Fighters
Story Characters
Glen - Wanted
Paul - Wanted
Provie - Wanted
Bruno - Wanted
Mike - Wanted
Rudy - Wanted
Chris - Wanted
Wes - Wanted

Arena Characters

Agents - Wanted
Backers - Wanted
Bombers - Wanted
Luchas - Wanted
Nerds - Wanted
Rich Kids - Wanted
Roids - Wanted
Vixens - Wanted
Squids - Wanted
Cowboys - Wanted
The Plague - Wanted
Warlocks - Wanted
Abobo - Full Rip
Ivan - Wanted
Otis - Wanted
Tex - Wanted
Dragon Twins - Wanted
Simon - Wanted
Adam - Wanted
Alexis - Wanted
Calvin - Wanted
Coach Otis - Wanted
Dr. D - Wanted
Ether - Wanted
Me (bully) - Wanted
Pink Bee - Wanted
Purple Bee - Wanted
Proto - Wanted
Slick - Wanted
Sentinel - Wanted

Other
Street Thugs - Wanted
Dr. D Final Form - Wanted

Amazing work, Buddy!! Thx for the Abobo sprites!! \o/
I was hoping someone would do this. I've gotten the game myself and been having fun when I do play it. I do hope Puggsoy finds a reliable way to rip it so I can have a crack at ripping from this game too. I've done that Fraps method before and that was for an NES game. So much respect for you for doing it for Abobo for a game like this.
Keep up the good work, definitely looks like a lot of effort.
Could someone supply me with the compressed version of textures.rcru? I'm not finding much in the uncompressed version, and while I can't guarantee much looking at the original is worth a shot.
I'm very interested in this project. It would seem decompressing the RCRU files doesn't do much, but what program is used for that?
It seems like exploring the game's files hasn't been too fruitful so far.... that's a shame. Should I begin ripping other characters "the hard way" to keep the project alive?
I would love for you to do that. That being said, it might be a waste of time if the developers decide they want to release the sprites themselves, but they've never announced any intention of doing so.
I don't mean to necropost, but any update on this? I have a save file uploaded which has every move I could possibly find. If this is still ongoing I really suggest you use this because it completes Mike's Hungry Mode and gives Glen, Bruno, Provie, Alex, and Mike one new special. Alex is also missing his Ground Pound, which, despite saying they would five months ago, still hasn't been fixed yet.

I'm curious about the decompressed files myself. I'd like to datamine what I can even if it may not be sprites.

Edit: I remember trying to extract the XNB files in the content folder, and the only thing I could get out was the shadow everyone used. May I suggest looking into rcru.xnb?
Pages: 1 2