The VG Resource

Full Version: 2017 Work/Critque Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey everybody, I've recently started to work on my pixeling skills and started with redoing a few older pieces.

[Image: 2lRF9G7.png]
This one I need a little help on the cape. 

Here's a few older things I did but I've tried remaking editing my self.
[Image: A8iC4v5.png]
[Image: sZAzc68.png]

Some newer things.
[Image: qFQdqHZ.png]
Overall I think I've progressed a lot since joining in 2012 but no one is perfect.
Had no idea you were into Berserk :0
i really like your art style, it's so clean and colorful, just the right amount of detail

it highly reminds me of old anime that i watched as a kid, it's very nice

as a design choice, i'd make the tribe man's body a little tilted as if he was sneaking and readying for attack, suggested by his feet positioning
(01-30-2017, 06:24 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]i really like your art style, it's so clean and colorful, just the right amount of detail

it highly reminds me of old anime that i watched as a kid, it's very nice

as a design choice, i'd make the tribe man's body a little tilted as if he was sneaking and readying for attack, suggested by his feet positioning

I thought his stance was a little strange looking I'll definitely get around to editing it. 
[Image: LQtFl6d.png]
I flipped her lower body and edited a bit of the shading.
[Image: 4vMrYRB.png]
These are small sprites I did for various items in a gbc/gba size screen. I feel that some are not as readable as the others.

[Image: QqtbP0P.png]
Finally just some up scaled DQM sprites, the big one is actually custom made and a boss from DQM3 for the gba.

edit:
to go along with when I say readability take the fish sprite if you can find it looks terrible so I reworked it. Better shaped and the x eye doesn't show very well when look far away.
[Image: xSXOwHJ.png]
I made a few more items and adjusted so the page is more organized.
Seeing how simple they are to make any ideas to fill up these blank spaces would be nice.
[Image: fm6wZ3d.png]
larger version
[Image: deZIQ5W.png]
You could make a shrimp for that missing fish spot in the food and something like chilli or curry with the bowled foods?

You could also embrace the inner Earthbound and create various yoyo weapons? Maybe a stick, a guitar, or an axe?

You could make battle items like a rock, a snowball, some kind of knife/Kuni/Shuriken? Various sports balls?

Sorry if this is an overload of suggestions, but you asked and I just couldn't hold back my various thoughts.
[Image: 1u260Bg.png]
Shrimp, Curry/Rice, Noodles(take out box)
Taser, Smoke Screen, Alarm
various guitars
rock, football, snowball, shuriken
as gors said - your style is awesome, your pixelart is awesome

i do have one concern - you should practice hands more
in fact not even practice, just mimic the hand you wanna do when drawing it and get a good look at it

on most of your sprites shown here the hands are tiny so it's okay
but here's an example
[Image: G4RZrsH.png]
usually the middle finger and ring finger are closer together than the index and pinky, as seen on her right hand (i tend to exaggerate this tho)
and, when putting your hands on your hip, usually the thumb goes behind, and the fingers are stretched along the thigh, not clenched
Thanks for the tips.
The reason the hands look that way was the fact it's a x2 edit of a already existing sprite. I didn't want to go outside the lines so the hands needed to be scrunched in. Though the thumb should be wrapped behind the waist.

Interestingly enough I pictured the right hand being more opened like in your edit. Thing is at the time I could see how I could get any spaces in the fingers due to the size.
[Image: 6FsAAjz.png]
Also the items are scrapmetal, defibrillator, soap, and two medicines/spells/elixirs??

[Image: tqGhqfN.png]
here's my edit
Decided to try make the Tetsujin character I made up.

[Image: HtylFVR.png]

Shading with coat is challenging so any tips on that would be great.
(02-02-2017, 09:28 PM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: [ -> ]Decided to try make the Tetsujin character I made up.

[Image: HtylFVR.png]

Shading with coat is challenging so any tips on that would be great.

still one of my favorite characters, OC or not, love the way he looks.

try some dithering for what i assume is the wool lining at the collar.

his left leg (viewer's left) looks natural but the change you made to his right leg looks really goofy and out of place, the silhouette made more sense.
This is how I pictured his leg turning out.
Also some more items:Redbull can, pill bottles (orange/green) and I'm not really sure.
Other character was one I thought of a while back. Its really just solidus snake with long hair and some g gundam. (love those characters design)
[Image: zgDJFnp.png]
as guy said - i love the design of that ref of yours

but again, i have an edit to present

[Image: O1mGVrT.png]

for the folds, you're gonna wanna make few of them in pixelart, but really follow the seams of the fabric and it should look ok
(besides something as thick as a leather jacket doesn't usually have loads of folds)

i added a bit of outlining to the eyes, it makes em more readible at 1x res i feel

I made the back arm longer, and folded it more, to suit the pose better

and for the legs, i get what you were trying to go for
although i think a pose like that, with feet facing together, is somewhat unbalanced - or at least somewhat feminine, it doesn't suit the character well.
so without changing too much, i tried to make the knees more visible and turned the right foot
Hey, I'm glad to see your work again! I'm quite fond of your style Smile

Here's an edit:
[Image: lNwMLsO.png]
Trying to make it more dynamic, note the legs, and that arm at the back... I can explain more if necessary.

kuptgw Big Grin
Thanks for the CC I kinda used a bit of both of your recommendations. Changed the face up slightly too
[Image: 4D1Ba8v.png]
Also for the other character I was wondering if a more cartoony big head looks better to match the style I've been going for.

Also working on another Berserk pixel art, it's Femto doing in a devil's reverse pose (m bison). And like the manga I'm going to update this one slowly...
[Image: n20MQc3.png]
I'll get the whole pose done then work on shading.
Pages: 1 2 3