The VG Resource

Full Version: Need some feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've started this project called DooM TALE! Its undertale + DOOM... anyway I need some feedback on my first sprite sheet. Its very unfinished and I am using Microsoft paint. If you have any suggestions please comment them.
The first big thing I would say is ditch MS Paint. That tool just isn't really great for making sprite art (or really any art for that matter) I would suggest Paint.net or Gimp. these are both free and are great painting tools.

Aside from that, I would be inclined to further blame paint, but Frisk looks way too blocky and fat. It looks like you tried to make him look like Steve from Minecraft for some reason. The eyes and mouth are also different pixel sizes then the hair and the nose, try to avoid doing this, it makes it not look so great. His hair and brows are also a bit jagged. Shading would also be nice to define him a bit more, at the moment its too flat looking. The mouth is also slightly off center, not sure if this was a stylistic choice or an accident, but either way it bugs me. I highly recommend you check out this topic https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25474.html and some other tutorials online if you really are wanting to improve your artwork. As long as you are willing to put in the time and dedication you can improve Wink.
jumping in to say Paint is very much capable of making pixelart

[Image: 0412b85e083281751888f342b8297e84.png]

in fact it's the only tool i used for nearly 6 years. Don't diss on it because OP freehanded everywhere, any program would produce similar results if he freehanded all the time.
I am aware that any tool can be used to make something great. It's about the talent of the artist and how well they're able to utilize what they have. However, I would still say that from personal experience I have found MS Paint to be a bit of a hassle to deal with at times. The tools were just a little too limiting. Going back to it now after using Photoshop CS6 for years is cumbersome. If you're given limited tools you can still shine (just look at what some people do in Mario Paint) but with a better tool you can do it in a more efficient and comfortable manner.

Sorry if this might come off as mean or disrespectful, but I feel I needed to get my opinion across and I meant no ill will towards you.
I'll second with Gors. There's nothing wrong with MS Paint in the slightest. I've been using it myself for about ten years and would say it's perfect for pixel art. 

You could make pixel art on a Ti-83 calculator. I've used pretty much every program out there and I can safely say that not a single one of them has made me "better". They all just adhere to a different workflow preference.

But in turns of OP. Your sprite sheet says that it's "Doom-style", but it looks far from anything actually used in the video game.

[Image: Doom_Example.png]
If you see the sprite on the left, it's almost half the size of yours with 100x more shading. When your copying a game's style, you need to have the sprites of that game with you at all times as a reference. So what I would suggest is that you diminish the size by half and then begin to add a ton of shading, go crazy. 

We'll help you fix the way you go about it, but at the moment it seems that you first need to grasp the concept of different shades before you can learn how to properly use them.
Yeah I was trying to do a frisk to replace the doomguy head on the hud. Keep im mind I suck balls and this is my second custom, AND this is very VERY unfinished. I do like all the feedback and take it as constructive criticism. Thanks guys