The VG Resource

Full Version: Shantae: Wrath of the Djinn's (Fangame)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello folks. SilentBobX here.
Well, we all know a little title called Shantae: Half Genie Hero is out, aaand I gotta say it was an awesome ride. Shantae is a really fun character, and her games are quite inspiring. So I've been mulling over ideas for weeks on a game I'd like to make based on her series. Not just her, but I also want to do a branching story with Shantae and an original character with different game play mechanics.

The other character I have in mind would play more like Megaman. He's a soldier for the Ammo Baron with a pistol. I've actually been working really hard on creating original sprites, based on Pirates Curse, for almost 2 weeks now. They'll need more editing, but here is what I have:
[Image: test01_zpsoajhv18m.png]
I made a forum in the sprite section so if you wish to see more, you can head on over there. The characters name is Caesar, the little brother of Vinegar. He's actually the Janitor at the Ammo Barons base, so he hasn't seen any combat at all. He has practiced with a pistol, but never out in the field (Kind of a good thing really.). Anyway, I still have more sprites to work on, and some editing to do, but I'll get him done.

I'll share a little of the story. The Ammo Baron finds a relic, a jar, along with other nick-knacks and plans on selling them off for funds (Money troubles... go fig.) Some days pass and Risky Boots attacks Ammo Barons base looking for said relic. Though not TOO eager to prove himself, Caesar is encouraged by his sister to help fend off the pirates and stop Risky's intrusion.

So, yeah, this is all I really have so far. I'm trying to get as many talents together to make this happen. Art, music and voices shouldn't be a problem to get, but a game engine and people who know how to use them are. I've been looking around for awhile and haven't really found an engine. Unfortunately, i don't have the faintest idea on how to use a game engine to make a game. I have used one before for an Ace Attorney game I made awhile back, but I BARLEY knew what I was doing and needed constant help. So if there is anyone out there who is generous enough to lend a hand, it would be most appreciated.

That's all I have for now. So what I want to shoot for is two story branching campaigns, with about 9 levels, 2 of them being intro stages for Shantae and Caesar, with some variety thrown in here and there. I'd be able to draw up some sprites, level idea, and write the story. Also going for a Pirates Curse look. I hope that's enough info. Sorry if I don't have enough material to show off. This is just really in the idea stages for now. Thanks for taking the time to come by and have a look see.
OK, first off I wanna say, I'm not trying to shoot your idea down. It's a fine idea. I haven't played a Shantae game but I'm sure if I had then this would seem like a really neat thing.

The thing is, if this is your first game, it seems a bit too ambitious. Now the sprite work, although I don't sprite myself, looks great so far. But making a game involves a lot of different pieces, and so many unforeseen issues come up all the time. Whether you're doing most of the work or it's split between several people, it requires a lot of time, effort, and persistence.

I would highly recommend trying to make something much much smaller and simpler first. I'm talking real simple, make a tiny Mario clone or something. Many people start on large projects and they never get finished (I should know). Have a go at making a couple of smaller scale stuff first, then you'll have a feel for how the development process goes, and it will help you immensely with getting off on the right foot with a larger project such as this.

I know what it's like to have an awesome idea and want to make a game right away, and by all means I encourage you to keep this passion. I'm just trying to give you some advice to help you avoid making a mistake that so many others do.
Believe me, I know making a game is ambitious and this is NOT my first rodeo. I've made an Ace Attorney fan project and know the hardships of creating a game, even as something as simple as that. I KNOW the hardships that come with making a game. I've commissioned people for art, I've edited art into sprites to make characters. I've hired actors to voice in my game. I've had considerable help in making game scripts.

I've already worked way too hard on my sprites just to give up. I'm just too stubborn. I got burned out on my last project because life happens and it gets in the way. The help I had was there, but when you're working on the story, the game script, the sprites and other various things at the same time--yeah, you'll run out of steam (That, and a computer failure that gets all your data erased and you forget to back up your files.).

This time around, I'm asking for help with the game engine, and anyone who can help work on it with me. I'm stupid when it comes to coding and that other stuff. Plus I don't have the time in my day to do it myself. And I'm not asking anyone to do it for me for free, I will compensate them for they're hard work. I won't ask for handout help, as I'd never want anyone to do anything for free. Because I know from the little experience I have that making games is hard.

I appreciate the advice, Puggsoy. But like i said, I'm just too stubborn, bull headed really, to give up too soon.
It's not just that you have too much work and get burned out though, working in a team and having to manage the project doesn't go super smooth. Making smaller-scale stuff also helps you figure out how to plan out and approach the development process.

Believe me, I know where you're coming from and have been there myself (albeit from a programming perspective, that's my speciality). I definitely don't want you to give up, but I do encourage you to tackle a small project first, and finish it. Finishing something, anything, is such a big boost in experience, knowledge, and confidence.
I'm not trying to scare you away, trust me.

All that said, I won't keep trying to convince you if you insist to work on this now. I do hope you consider my suggestions though. Whatever the case, good luck! Smile