The VG Resource

Full Version: N64 Models with Texture issues (Smash Bros.)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if it's been stated anywhere else, so I'm going to say it here. I'm aware of this post, but it's too much and tells you to use programs I don't even know anything about. I'm using 1964 and Lemmy's video plugin that rips the entire 3D scene. I import it to 3DS Max and manually drag in every texture (it's easy because the names of the meshes in the model include the names of the textures). After doing that, I notice there's this issue with textures that are supposed to flip themselves around. Pictured below is the intro/ending cutscene in Super Smash Bros., where the CD in front of the stereo and the pink rug aren't textured normally. I think the chest and maybe the walls (some I've temporarily hidden) have the same issue.
[Image: E5vrVBF.png]
There's also transparency issues, which I can simply fix by editing the textures and dragging them back in, although that's not a priority right now. Now I could export this model to SketchUp, where I could easily fix these issues because I am much more experienced in that program than 3DS Max, but there's this one plugin for 3DS Max that I tried before and it worked perfectly, but now I have to pay $99 and I'm definitely not going to find myself doing that very soon. Exporting the model in any format that SketchUp supports will either come up textureless or unreadable.

I've also noticed the pens in the pencil holder on the desk in the above image were coloured faces before I dragged the textures onto them. So was some of the bed, and almost all of the lamp. The desk, apart from the drawers, doesn't have a texture at all and is supposed to be a cream colour.

I wouldn't have any of these problems if I could perfectly export to SketchUp, so any tips on that would be great. Unless I could send the scene file to you if you want to ask and you can help me fix these issues. Kappa

And by the way, on the Models Resource there are characters that others have ripped, although the textures don't look right, and they're not T-posed. I've searched and asked but I'm looking for a GameShark code or two that puts the fighters into a T-pose, because I'm thinking of ripping them and uploading/re-uploading them too.

And I managed to rip this scene from the intro almost perfectly, apart from applying textures I just removed Mario and Kirby, who were standing in the middle. See the problem?
[Image: 29Itqnu.png]

P.S. I'm not very well experienced with 3DS Max, if you couldn't tell
I think it's a UV mapping issue?

Open it and flip the UVs around so they fit right.
Texture mirroring Defeated
If you have enough vertecies, you can take the UV and flip each corver to correct it. For smaller things, im not you. At that point you're directly editing the mesh to try and fix it.
Ya ya ya nice
While editing the grass scene I found this Mirror tool and... after a few tweaks I got it done right. But all four corners are separate. How do I merge them back together, if possible?
[Image: HOxIXFl.png]

But I don't think I can fix the CD or the rug in the bedroom

[Image: cXS6HMn.png]
[Image: TnWj822.png]

SketchUp would be soooo much easier  Very Sad
You could try taking the rug and CD texture directly and make it into one giant rug/CD texture.
(10-07-2016, 10:35 PM)OS-PRIME Wrote: [ -> ]You could try taking the rug and CD texture directly and make it into one giant rug/CD texture.

Nope
[Image: zCN9bjT.png]

This is what the bitmaps look like, the middle one is what I applied
[Image: 1X3Esl6.png]
You got it right, actually. You just need to edit the UV space so they don't repeat.
(10-07-2016, 10:59 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]You got it right, actually. You just need to edit the UV space so they don't repeat.

Got it. I went to Modifiers at the top, UV Coordinates, UVW Xform, and at the right made U Tile and V Tile to 0.5. I just taught myself this Big Grin
[Image: cb7vp75.png]