The VG Resource

Full Version: LankyKong (DKC)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tried my hand at Making a DKC styled Lanky Kong Sprite.
I feel like i got kinda close but it definitely isin't quite there so any feedback is appreciated!

[attachment=6962]

Bonus, made a quick mock-up of in game Lankey!

[attachment=6963]
Wow for once I feel like I can't provide good crit - but like, the DKC ingame sprites are pre-rendered, so it's next-to-near impossible to recreate that look unless you made the model in like MilkDrop or something and then downsampled it by a lot. The bad news is that this sprite is pretty close, but doesn't really fit the style of the game, either ('A`) the main reason is that it's just too...clean, and good-looking.
it might also have to do with the fact that the perspective is off (3/4 view, as opposed to like...in-between side-profile and 3/4 view. enough to indicate the intricacies of each character) as are the lightsources and palette (not to mention that Lanky's looking straight at the camera; whereas the monkeys of DKC games typically look straight-forward)
he's also kinda HUGE compared to the other characters. like i get he's a big ol' lanky orangutang but he looks like he's even bigger than DK there.

edit: whoops. you said "I thought I was close but I'm not sure what I could fix" - now i feel sorta like an asshole given the way i phrased my post, whoops

the good news though is that by itself, the sprite itself looks incredible!! nice work o/ I could imagine this in like a GBA game like DK King of Swing as part of the ingame menus
yeah, i think you shouldn't really go for DKC styled sprites - because they're prerendered, and this causes a lot of artifacts to appear. Since you did it in a totally 2D medium, the end result is too clean.
Hey Kosheh, thanks for the feedback. Definitely agree it looks too clean haha.
I tried in parts to make it messier to fit the DKC style but i find it hard to bring
myself to completely muddy up area's or make parts look bad on purpose.

The angle and size is definitely a problem too, i started with the head to see if i could
make something that looked ok before I decided to make the full body so it ended up
informing the final size and angle.

On the topic of KoS for GBA, i actually started making a lanky sprite in that
style before deciding to do a DKC one!

[attachment=6964]

(09-24-2016, 10:48 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]yeah, i think you shouldn't really go for DKC styled sprites - because they're prerendered, and this causes a lot of artifacts to appear. Since you did it in a totally 2D medium, the end result is too clean.

Agree with the too clean part. I would never try to make a sheet in that style or anything but i like
the challenge of emulating that kind of style.
The KOS one looks a-lot better, and a tad more stylized.

Can't wait to see what comes from this!
(09-24-2016, 01:06 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]The KOS one looks a-lot better, and a tad more stylized.

Can't wait to see what comes from this!

Thanks! Not sure where i'm gonna take this from here, might give DKC style another shot.
Might also turn that KoS one into a full sheet at some point. Haven't submitted a sheet to
TSR is near a decade haha.