The VG Resource

Full Version: my sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
here are some sprites i made tell me what you think of them post some of your own.
These are not custom sprites. Sorry but these are nothing but splices of Mario and Sonic characters that are of no use at all.
Haha, dear god, what the fuck.

Sir this is not good at all.
(11-16-2008, 02:00 PM)CeeY Wrote: [ -> ]These are not custom sprites. Sorry but these are nothing but splices of Mario and Sonic characters that are of no use at all.

sorry i didnt know what to call them
It doesn't matter how bad the sprites are because they're JPEGs
Ehem. Lets be polite, no matter the quality.

You main concern should be with the saved image quality. For starters, JPEG is not a legitimate format for sprites. PNG or GIF filetypes are better. Simply instead of "Save" use "Save As" and select PNG or GIF from the dropdown tab.

Secondly, splices, unless they are significantly altered or improved upon, are by and large the lowest form of spriting. You'll get no acclaim here with that nonsense. If you must, start by making edits, and the key to a good edit is to significantly alter/improve them AND to ensure the silhouette is different. It must be unrecognizable as an edit to be considered good. After you've practiced the basics some more, move onto customs. I suggest larger works, after all, any errors in smaller works are tiny, hidden. Larger works bring out your flaws so that they may be critiqued better.

Finally, pixelart and spriting is no different than traditional art. If you don't understand traditional art, you are unlikely to improve in a specialized field without great great effort. It's always easier to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run.

I would request that the rest of our members remain cordial and polite to this young man. After all, you were all once newbies yourselves.
These are some okay edits but the format is wrong. It is Jpg'd. PNG is the way to save them. I made that mistake too. And they are not custom. Custom are scratch made sprites. They're not all that extremely bad though.
Yeah. You have a very long path to walk...

In addition to what Zee said, make the things thinking on others. Don't just make a ton of things that doesn't halp anyone but yourself. It's always good to do something important. Pointless stuff only make you look bad.

Don't give up, though! Everybody sucked at first, so don't be afraid: improve until you get better Smile
(11-16-2008, 02:42 PM)Zee Wrote: [ -> ]Ehem. Lets be polite, no matter the quality.

You main concern should be with the saved image quality. For starters, JPEG is not a legitimate format for sprites. PNG or GIF filetypes are better. Simply instead of "Save" use "Save As" and select PNG or GIF from the dropdown tab.

Secondly, splices, unless they are significantly altered or improved upon, are by and large the lowest form of spriting. You'll get no acclaim here with that nonsense. If you must, start by making edits, and the key to a good edit is to significantly alter/improve them AND to ensure the silhouette is different. It must be unrecognizable as an edit to be considered good. After you've practiced the basics some more, move onto customs. I suggest larger works, after all, any errors in smaller works are tiny, hidden. Larger works bring out your flaws so that they may be critiqued better.

Finally, pixelart and spriting is no different than traditional art. If you don't understand traditional art, you are unlikely to improve in a specialized field without great great effort. It's always easier to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run.

I would request that the rest of our members remain cordial and polite to this young man. After all, you were all once newbies yourselves.
thanks, what if i took a mario sprite and change it into a luigi or waluigi sprite would that be an edit or would an edit be taking someone elses sheet and change it
TIP: Making customs, and learning new techniques helps you become a better pixel artist with practice.
technically that'd be a recolor. A recolor is similar to an edit, but it doesn't change the sprite, jus the colors and sometimes the shading. If you made the mario taller and skinnier, then changed it to green, it'd be an edit into Luigi.
(11-16-2008, 03:03 PM)Louie Wrote: [ -> ]They're not all that extremely bad though.
I know we have to be kind, but please, let's not sugarcoat this.

They do look extremely bad.

This is the truth, and you can only improve if you face just how much you still have to learn.

Many spriters here have been at it for years and they're still practicing. Just practice, and you'd have something you'd be proud to have made.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
(11-19-2008, 10:21 AM)Mr. Buttbutt Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2008, 03:03 PM)Louie Wrote: [ -> ]They're not all that extremely bad though.
I know we have to be kind, but please, let's not sugarcoat this.

They do look extremely bad.

This is the truth, and you can only improve if you face just how much you still have to learn.

Many spriters here have been at it for years and they're still practicing. Just practice, and you'd have something you'd be proud to have made.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.
thanks, ive been trying to improve