The VG Resource

Full Version: ProtoTroid's Pixel Art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's been a long time, let's see what I can do!

[Image: 23m4ugh.jpg]
...Hm, all things considered this actually came out pretty good.

Except for her pants. Those don't look right.

I made this character a while ago, and she served as my inspiration for making pixel art again. Shantae seemed like the right style for her.
Yeah, the highlighting on the pants does look a little odd, but the rest of it looks really good! This is Shantae style, right?
(06-30-2016, 08:39 AM)Kelvin Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, the highlighting on the pants does look a little odd, but the rest of it looks really good! This is Shantae style, right?

Yep. I kind of had Shantae on the brain lately after replaying Pirate's Curse. It seemed like the right style for this character.
I made another sprite, but I'm worried about whether or not it's within the site's rules. There's nothing explicit about it, no more so than some of the enemies from Shantae, but I want to be 100% sure it's fine.
I love the shantae style, it's very charming, as for the pant's shine, move her right leg's shine over just a tad. as for the belt, I think the shine on it should be closer to the top, and make the part that was shiny a darker shade. that's my advise from someone newer to spriting.

Shantae and the Prate's Curse was Rated E10+ so if it's no worse than that it should be fine.
(06-30-2016, 06:56 PM)Null-Z Wrote: [ -> ]I love the shantae style, it's very charming, as for the pant's shine, move her right leg's shine over just a tad. as for the belt, I think the shine on it should be closer to the top, and make the part that was shiny a darker shade. that's my advise from someone newer to spriting.

Shantae and the Prate's Curse was Rated E10+ so if it's no worse than that it should be fine.
I'll see about altering her pants and belt a bit.

As for the thing I mentioned.
I kind of like how the arms came out.
I really love her design. As for her pants shading, maybe study how they shade the pants in the Shantae style and mimic that.
While I am still working on fixing her pants, I also created yet another pose/form.
First there's normal, than there's enraged/Asura, and now there's...Calm.
great choice of palette! those would look amazing animated owo
(07-01-2016, 12:06 AM)JazzGW Wrote: [ -> ]great choice of palette! those would look amazing animated owo

I guess they would...But I'm not much for animation, myself. But hey, who knows?

This character is one I've been trying to do a lot of things with. I started off by drawing her, sketches and stuff. I've had trouble designing her various forms, but it seems like spriting was the perfect way to do so.
Such as this.
What is it about evil alternate reality counterparts that seems so appealing?
I'm not really fond of this tbh

I mean, it's decent but the face could be bigger to take advantage of the bigger sprite size you got there

additionally I feel like the fire should cast light in the rest of the sprite (but I'll be honest here and tell you i'm not sure how to do that due to the amount of fire and the stylistic red outline on the arm)

maybe hueshifting the black shades towards red will give your sprite a better look, and giving more facial definition will make the character stand out more.

SPRITING 101: cartoony characters should have enough space for face. The augmented size for the head allows more room for faces and thus, more expressions. Try it out.
(07-01-2016, 05:45 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really fond of this tbh

I mean, it's decent but the face could be bigger to take advantage of the bigger sprite size you got there

additionally I feel like the fire should cast light in the rest of the sprite (but I'll be honest here and tell you i'm not sure how to do that due to the amount of fire and the stylistic red outline on the arm)

maybe hueshifting the black shades towards red will give your sprite a better look, and giving more facial definition will make the character stand out more.

SPRITING 101: cartoony characters should have enough space for face. The augmented size for the head allows more room for faces and thus, more expressions. Try it out.
I actually thought a bit about the fire and casting light. I wasn't sure how to go about it, but maybe putting in dark shades of red will work.

As for her face, this particular sprite was modeled after the Scorpion Girls in Shantae, so her face kind of ended up with a similar size. I can try to do more with it, though.
Yeah, shantae's style is shantae's style

but I think you could be more ambitious with your character, after all, you are the artist here. You take the decisions of character design and pixel design - and this is where you can shine creatively

Remember that pixelart is all about being able to understand, it's all about readability and compromise. So try always taking the option that will convey your idea better to the other viewers.
You know, after spending some time working with this, I think maybe there's just too much going on in the design for a sprite this size. I mean, I'm satisfied with the design itself, but between the fire hair that should be casting light and the stylized arms, I think I would need to do a larger sprite in a different style to make it really work.
[Image: tumblr_o9t8v1FKwA1vqa3p4o2_r1_250.png]
WIP character.

I'm not totally sure about the purple outline on his hair and hands. It's mostly just because it's more visible than dark gray.

I thought about trying to actually animate one of these things, but I want to do so with my own style. Whatever that might be.
Pages: 1 2