The VG Resource

Full Version: Feedback for my sprites.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: BeRzqgg.png]
They are named Kotaroka and Reebal
Moved to CS/PA.
The ball is shaded pretty nice, but the total depth shading on the bull guy with no overhead lighting makes him look flat. It's just a straight line, so the depth shading doesn't really work for him, since a technique like that is used to, as the name implies, show depth by having the background darker, but since it doesn't follow any contour, it doesn't work. The ball guy uses both directional and depth shading, so try to apply what you did with him to the bull.
[Image: k3gAP2W.png]
Is this better?
Kotaroka is not a bull, he is an ogre.
I just altered the shading and left the shapes alone. I don't have any idea what kind of shapes you're going for with those rigid lines, so I just did this as an example:

[Image: gUZqi8u.png]

If you look around the torso, you can see the shape of the pecs and belly. I also messed with the head, but that was a challenge, because all I could read from it was some kind of rounded cylinder.

What exactly are you going for with this, if I may ask?
They are just for fun, spriting is a hobby of mine. Straight blocky shading was used due to lack of understanding of how to make humanoid-shaped things in such small sprites. It's something for me to work on.
I see. Well, see that little red button at the top of the screen that says 'sprites'? Go there and just look around. ;3 Find a style that you like and look closely at it, and try to break it down and figure out how they made certain effects look the way they do. Picking a style you wanna go for will make giving you feedback easier, too, and once you've learned it, you can start changing it and develop your own style, if you wanna go that far.
[Image: w4EIJQz.png]
This does not seem as good as the square one. It is hard to make nice, smooth lines when drawing such complex shapes, squares seem to work better for my style.
The thing is, to make pixel art well, you have to zoom in and edit lines pixel by pixel. This new one is significantly better, it's more organic, and more alive. The square style is odd, stiff, and hollow. While the new one needs work, it's a lot better.
^ All this.

Also, a few points on the new one, the nipples should be shifted to the side to follow the direction of the rest of the body. The right (lighter) leg also seems bent funny. The left leg actually makes a good reference for what the right should look like. Do that, but slightly straighter. Otherwise, it's a major improvement over the other version. Keep it up with this direction. Cute