The VG Resource

Full Version: Null-Z's collection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here, I'll post what I've done so far and what I will do for Critique. 

let's start with these....
thank you!

Here's a comparison between the first time I sprited and the most recent time, (newest is on the left oldest on the right.)
[Image: null_sprite_compare_by_null_z-da7db6m.png]

any idea how I can make it better?
yep spoilers work!

nice sprites you have too! very cute catgirl ya got thar~
I love how the animation moves! If there is one thing to criticize, its her staff in the standing pose. When the top part is at the lowest point, it seems to move differently to how she is holding it. Like she's reving it like a motorcycle bar thingy. But that could be just me.
added another sprite atop.
you do seem to have a good grasp at pixel making, but your main issue is with anatomy.

[Image: null_sprite_compare_by_null_z-da7db6m.png]

Taking this sprite as an example, you need to study how muscles and limbs work. The lengths are okay, but looking closely, it looks like they (especially the legs) are a bunch of tied sausages. Where are the joints? They should be defined better for a sprite this size.

Go study real life anatomy, either by observation or with books, study how the muscles and joints connect to form the limbs. It's a really boring process, I know, but once you master some of it, pixel making and art making in general will come out with better results.

Additionally, if you do draw on paper or have a graphic tablet, practice there instead of pixels. Making this type of art on pixels is time consuming, so I feel it is not efficient to practice something as complex as anatomy.

Once you brush up your anatomy skills, I shall teach you more about color composition.
(07-03-2016, 01:51 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]Taking this sprite as an example, you need to study how muscles and limbs work. The lengths are okay, but looking closely, it looks like they (especially the legs) are a bunch of tied sausages.

Once you brush up your anatomy skills, I shall teach you more about color composition.

Thank you for pointing that out, I will work on anatomy more as I don't Exclusively do Pixel art. but If I may point out 1 thing, the legs may look like that because he's wearing loose pants, perhaps I should add more shadows to signify more wrinkles in the clothes to remedy this.

and May I ask what you see issue with the color scheme? I'd like to know your point of view on it as I am satisfied with the scheme as it is at the moment.
The color scheme is good - however the hues picked for said colors are not very good - it lacks contrast and thus, the tridimensionality isn't represented well.

Shading and colors are chosen to draw the object in 3D, and lines, in 2D.

I'm not very familiar with sprites this size but I'll try doing my best when I'm home. Always seek for improvement!
These look amazing! Are they for a video game your making?
(07-10-2016, 11:07 PM)Asith Wrote: [ -> ]These look amazing! Are they for a video game your making?

yes, but it's a LONG term goal. I need to get Experience in the area before making it.

New Animation. added a few more details. 

[Image: null_idle_by_null_z-daan4cq.gif]
Health Hud Idea.

[Image: nhh2_by_null_z-daaw4x4.gif]
Dash Animation. 
[Image: reality_blur_by_null_z-dac4f5a.gif]
it's been a LOOONG time but I've been working on my spriting tech. and after fiddling with sizes and such I've found a size that's faster to make and still appealing to me.

[Image: null_sp_by_null_z-darm0c8.png] [Image: reality_blur_2_0_by_null_z-darm0l8.png]

What do you think? what could be improved?
(12-13-2016, 12:53 PM)Null-Z Wrote: [ -> ]it's been a LOOONG time but I've been working on my spriting tech. and after fiddling with sizes and such I've found a size that's faster to make and still appealing to me.

[Image: null_sp_by_null_z-darm0c8.png] [Image: reality_blur_2_0_by_null_z-darm0l8.png]

What do you think? what could be improved?

I think it looks nice. Your shading seems a little flat though. Try mixing different saturation and color types into your darker shades instead of just making the base color darker.

Like for instance, use some pinker shades for the skin or a slightly red tint to the shades in his hair. Doing this helps to make the image pop, and to add some contrast.
Thanks for the tip, it was one of the things that was bothering me too.

time to experiment then.
ok! two things 

1. changed up the colors and compared 
[Image: null_spcolorcmp_by_null_z-darnfsf.png]
It's Subtle but I like the differences it made.

2. I REALLY need some help with this one.  
[Image: prism_sprite1_by_null_z-darnfl5.png]

mostly about the face and what I could do to make it more appealing, but ways I could clean it up would be appreciated too.
Pages: 1 2