The VG Resource

Full Version: DG and his model problems...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm currently going through models in Solatorobo: Red the Hunter and exporting them.
I can't do a lot, really, without blender, but I can get basic previews of the models after exporting them to .obj

However, the folder I've directed my attention to has a bunch of models whose shared textures are stored in a separate file, with a few exclusions.

I have the capabilities to export the textures, in fact I already have. However, I'm having to re-name some textures to get the model to load them. Like, say the model has a pet cat somewhere on it. My texture would be 'cat.png' , and the .mtl file is asking for 'fel.png' (not that I have any models there meeting that description, this is just an example)
I can re-name the cat.png to fel.png and then it will be loaded, but just wondering if I'm potentially doing something wrong?

Far as I can tell, the textures are correct.

Is it unheard of for the models to ask for a texture by a different name than it's actually saved under?
I don't mind manually re-naming files according to what the .mtl specifies, I'm just worried I might be doing this the wrong way. So far, I've re-named enough files to correctly display three models in this directory with their textures.

Do the exporters ever export texture references improperly?

Besides that, does anyone have the ability to convert maya models to .obj? (or anything that I can open , render, and edit for free, something blender supports is ideal)
Or the ability to make a model converter export to another format?

I was doing research about starfox assault ripping, and landed on a thing for extracting adventures models.
Good news is all the files still exist, and any post on the thread/forum I've found for this indicates it works, with maybe a slight hiccup or two. Bad news is the chosen export format would require me to:
A: Have a computer that can run Maya (i don't think i do)
B: Learn how to use Maya to some extent (rather not, i'll consider myself lucky if i ever learn something besides sketchup anytime soon)
C: Purchase or pirate Maya (again, would rather not...)

The person who made the ripping tool has provided the source code to it.
I would greatly prefer an option that avoids the use of Maya at all.

That's all for now, I'll maybe post some screenshots of that first issue tomorrow.
I'm up later than I should or want to be, again.
Please up your file and I can take a look.
starfox adventures ripper + thread:

http://www.starfox-online.net/forums/top...date-v041/
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2m5hbrcde319r...n=74744076

previews of issue with solatorobo models:

decompressed and in-progress rip of the 'dob' directory in solatorobo:
http://crystalien-redux.com/unrelated/ET...dob_dec.7z
Hello I am sorry that they had to wait so long.
In most programming objects riechtieg display.
The objects that are not displayed correctly in the folder have no textures.
You have to reinsert later because I have seen that the paths in the MTL file already geendert.
A bit confused what you're saying...sorry
Put textures in the same folder with mtl and obj file.
that's what i've been doing, but some of them are not referenced by the same name, which is why i'm wondering if there's yet another set of textures i need to find.

also, i'm noticing the use of vertex shading or something, any idea how to work around that?
Look to mtl file if there have 7 phats added 7 textures.
still not understanding everything you're saying...sorry

so, adding on to the starfox adventures thing
I have ripped basically everything that i could, as .ma files i have yet to go through and convert.
Firstly, I found by accident several ripped model packs for this game. seeing as i'm ripping the stuff myself, and converting it myself, is their any breach of vg-res ToS because the end product is essentially the same stuff already provided by someone else, but on another site, and in another format? what i'm not doing is downloading their packs and converting them, so i wouldn't see why it SHOULD be an issue as it is 'my own' rips i'd be putting here. but, just wanted to make sure.

Secondly, there any REQUIREMENT to name individual models what they're actually called, as long as it's within reason? if i have to name them their official names i will, but... "Brain Squid" , for example, the 'squid' bit just doesn't work for me, they look like jellyfish, not squid.

That should be all for now