The VG Resource

Full Version: What is not what its name implies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What have you or anyone else or both heard is not what its name implies? Three examples I know are a football is not a foot, a computer virus is not a computer and a strawberry is neither a berry nor a straw.
ZeldaClassicEXPERT
super mario maker...

why make another mario? someone already made one.
A modern feminist. Some are males...

What are Yoshies? Why would an entire species have the name of a Asian person?

Like you don't see a new species of rodent called Gregs
(06-13-2016, 08:10 PM)Hiynastrike Wrote: [ -> ]What are Yoshies? Why would an entire species have the name of a Asian person?

Like you don't see a new species of rodent called Gregs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_or...ous_people
actually...
jellyfish is neither made of jelly nor is it a fish (technically...)

The bird of paradise flower is obviously not a bird.

Black-eyed suzans do not have a literal black eye, and generally speaking, don't resemble any women by the name "Susan".

Those are just a few that come to mind
Ladies and gentlemen, may I provide for your delectation: the mountain chicken!
[Image: mountainchickenfrog.jpg]
I'm disappointed every time Steam fails to emit actual steam from my PC Sad
Hungary is in fact not a feeling but a country. Turkey isn't actually a country made of North American bird.
the red panda is in fact not related to the typical giant panda. the flying fox isn't really a fox, and a hummingbird doesn't hum itself, but you have to be up super close to hear the buzzing sound emitted by its wings.

safe to say that scientists and zoologists are the best at coming up with these contradictory names.
so "tele" means to move something, so if Televisions moves visions to places and Teleports are a port that moves things. What the frick is a telephone?
A telephone is a thing that "moves" phonemes, I assume.
Penguin is neither a pen nor a guin.
(06-13-2016, 04:54 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]A modern feminist.  Some are males...

STOP
A vagina isn't required attire in order to desire/want equality between the sexes in our society.
I know who you're trying to put on blast here (radical feminists) but your statement kinda makes you look like an asshole right now, lmao

I think my favorite example is "hot dog" it's not really hot, nor is it an actual dog. O_O
Pages: 1 2