The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonic 1 HD Sprites (W.I.P)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: sonichd1.png]
A work-in-progress sprite sheet I was working on, shall I continue?
It sort of reminds me of the Megaman X Resizes that Capcom did for Apps. The thing about HD Sprites is that you can add details that you couldn't in the original.

[Image: aeKhbPp.png]

My recommendation, fix the shading style to make it look more detailed.
[Image: sonichd2.png]
Added a few more colors and tweaked the shading style to look like the more detailed S3&K standard.
(I also bet that anyone ever noticed that the I added an additional shade of gray when I posted this topic.)

Is this an improvement?
Shading wise, I think it looks better but I'm not the best person in that department. But again, you could add more details that the original sprite couldn't have. For example, his hands (with the exception of two) look more like grey blobs than hands
[Image: sonichd3.png]
I re-shaped his arms, three by editing and two by erasing and re-doing from scratch.
I'm not sure if this is part of the WIP or not, and you had intentions to fix it, but I see you shaded the ball sprite with a bunch of crudely drawn squiggles that don't even follow a round shape. Also, the right legs (our right) on the second, third, and fourth sprites are all jagged.
There's also still a lot of blocky clusters, like the mouth, pupils, and arm shading. The belly on the two frontward sprites are pillowshaded, as well. It looks more like this was put through some up-scaler in Photoshop or something, given the rather odd shapes and details.
[Image: sonichd4.png]
That was jumping sprite more of a placeholder, this is the real deal.
I tried to fix the jagged lines and arm shading, and no, I did not use Photoshop at all.
This was completely made in MS Paint.
It also looked a bit odd without the "block cluster" mouth.
The "pillow shading" was actually the outline, but I added a shine spot so it doesn't look pillow-shaded.

Forgot to say, I added the "hurt" sprite.
The head looks great, but I think the ears look a bit messy. The eyes would benefit from anti-aliasing at the corners to avoid sharp blocky shapes on otherwise smooth shading.

The "shine spot" on the chest is a good start but its the "circle" of shades that is the core issue. It depends how far you want to go. If you want to just upscale sprites, that's probably ok since you are sticking to source. If you want to make some really revitalized HD sprites, you may need to redo shading on certain components.
You'll need to tighten up the shapes further, including if needed, redrawing things outright. Right now things like his arm in the idle animation is looking just like a bunch of blobby squares glued together.