The VG Resource

Full Version: The Grump Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Game Grumps, Steam Train, GrumpCade...Talk about whatever you want that's Grump-related.

For anyone who doesn't know of them: https://m.youtube.com/user/GameGrumps

I'd recommend leaving Conspiracy Grumps out of the discussion, as pretty much every "conspiracy" has been debunked >_>.
Good stuff usually. Don't really trend to the more profane topics, but I appreciate the variety and some of the stranger stuff they show off.
The way they bash stupid games is what got me into those guys. Especially sonic... oh man gotta watch that stuff again.
I think Arin is fucking using the hover boots on purpose. Like Dan asks him "hey yo do you got any potions my dude."
And Arin checks his inventory and PUTS THE BOOTS BACK ON.
But on the positive side. They're playing dead rising 2 now, which is great. I loved their first dead rising play through.
I get so psyched when they play games that I'm familiar with, like Sonic Adventure and ALttP. Some of their playthroughs grew stale for me, like Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne, mostly because I don't have much interest in the games themselves. But the commentary is icing on the cake and they're the perfect show to listen to as if it were a podcast. Nearly everyday I just pick a random playlist, whether I'm working or trying to get some sleep (their voices have a 99% success rate of lulling me to sleep, btw. in a good way tho~).

Also I think some of their more "creative" moments come from the Mario Maker playthrough. xd
(06-10-2016, 07:22 PM)Red Haired Bastard Wrote: [ -> ]I think Arin is fucking using the hover boots on purpose. Like Dan asks him "hey yo do you got any potions my dude."
And Arin checks his inventory and PUTS THE BOOTS BACK ON.
But on the positive side. They're playing dead rising 2 now, which is great. I loved their first dead rising play through.
He is, he mentioned it on Twitter

I used to watch the fuck out of the Grumpe, to where Wednesday would be the day I ordered pizza and wings and caught up on what I'd miss in the week. Now they're playing games I don't really care too much about, but I'll watch an episode or two if they're playing something neat
I watch the Grumps pretty religiously. The Punch Out episodes are my favorite (both the Wii and NES ones), and probably the ones I've watched the most often.

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I think Ross is my favorite of the group (though I do love them all!). The way he drives everyone around him absolutely crazy is hysterical to me. Especially in the Table Flip episodes; which is a show I'm sad we'll never get new episodes of ... that show was genius. And it introduced me to a lot of people I didn't know about before.

A lot of people I've known don't like the Grumps primarily because they don't agree with Arin's opinion on video games. I honestly feel like that's a really petty reasoning ... you don't have to agree with someone's opinions to find them amusing. I mean hell, Arin hates a lot of games that I adore and it doesn't stop me from finding him funny. I imagine it has to be very difficult to find yourself an interesting and diverse group of friends when you're only interested in people that share all the same opinions that you do.

Also I agree with the notion that Arin is keeping the hover boots equipped on purpose solely to troll people. The fact that he never even acknowledges it makes it all the more comedic genius; it's driving everyone insane. Of course, he's performing so poorly in the game, it's always possible he really doesn't realize they're hindering him. I mean, dear God I did not even know it was possible to do that badly in OoT. It certainly hurts his arguments against the game when he can't even play it properly. Poor guy ...

(To be fair, the last time I played OoT, I too kept the hover boots on the entire time just to give myself a bit more extra challenge. It really didn't end up hurting my performance, though ...).
[/quote]
He is, he mentioned it on Twitter
[/quote]

damn it.
Arin is a friend of mine. He's p funny. I like it when they shout.
I personally like watching/listening to them (Arin and Dan specifically) no matter what game they play, generally speaking. they're more or less The Two Stooges of gaming, so it's a given that they will fool around with whatever game, be it on purpose or by funny coincidence.

On a more serious note, i think the general setting of Game Grumps as a business is pretty relatable to other people. while sure, they're pretty big stars on the web, and they do all these things on the web as well as in-person. But they're not your typical bigshot celebs livin the sweet life in LA. They just happen to work hard at something that they truly enjoy for the most part and bond as a group of very close friends as a result. outside of their internet popularity, they're not too far from "normal" working-class people. They are one thing that makes me impressed by how technology has changed entertainment this passed decade or so. it's pretty heartwarming when you think about it.
The problem with Arin's opinions isnt that they're "wrong" or anything, but that he presents them as if only his is right and anyone who disagrees is doing so on ill-founded reasons, even when there is evidence to contradict his claims. He talks like everyone agrees with him all the time, citing the ever nebulous "people" as proof that he's right.
I've watched a couple of episodes, mostly through my sister who has watched many more (I think she's seen all of the Bloodborne episodes). They're pretty entertaining, even when what they're talking about has nothing to do with what they're playing.

I also love their ads, in particular the Crunchyroll ones Tongue
I watch it on a daily base, mostly playlists with 40+ videos cause it's running in the background while I do other stuff.

And yes, they are entertaining, they also got the right voices/chemistry for this.
(06-11-2016, 03:31 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Arin is a friend of mine. He's p funny. I like it when they shout.

Jealous AF, I've been watching these guys for almost 2 years now, would be awesome to go see em do something live.

It's nice to come home from a long day, kick back and just listen to Danny and Arin shoot the shit while I work on something, just caught up on all the Dark Souls III this morning and still got the OoT playlist to finish.
So I got a couple quick questions for everybody:

1) Aside from the main duo of Arin+Danny, what are your favorite duo host combinations for Grumpcade/Steam Train?

2) Of all the unfinished playthroughs (that is, games they've started but haven't completed), excluding the ones that they claim they're definitely going to come back to (like Pokemon or Link Between Worlds), are there any games that you really really wish they'd come back to?
Pages: 1 2