The VG Resource

Full Version: Quest 64 ripping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Segatendo and I had a little chat regarding models from Quest 64 and we both agreed on the idea of starting a topic for ripping form that game. He'll be handling the model ripping, while I unscramble the UVs and fix a texture or two. So far, only the main character (AKA Brian) is practically ready. All that's left is for me to rearrange the UVs in a 0-1 space and compile the textures into a single one.

Link to a zip file containing the model.
Cool! Can't wait!
I'm about halfway there with sorting out the UVs. Hopefully, I should be done with this tomorrow.

Current Progess
Finally! This model is done and dusted!

Once Segatendo (and possibly anyone else) looks over it, I'll see to it that this gets submitted.
Segatendo ripped the next model, Princess Flora.

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to have the textures on it display "properly" compared to the Brian model. Basically, I end up with what the top image looks like instead of the bottom one.

[Image: 0nZhcH6.png]

Since we're unable to get this to work just right, it appears that I'll have to manually place the textures on there myself before I get around to basic UV correction. Of course, I'll provide updates to make sure if nothing looks a bit too off.
Here's what I have for Flora so far. Just a quick reminder, though.  Expect this link to either lead to an updated file or not work at all in the foreseeable future. To save some space on my Dropbox folder, I would either update the file or outright get rid of it.

One interesting thing about her model is that there is an odd seam of sorts on her head. Is she supposed to have that, or must I fix up the UVs further to get rid of it?

[Image: C8i0GO9.png]

Also, there's something you need to know about the part of her hair that covers her eye. You see, it's supposed to have an alpha file to make it look like how it is in the reference.

[Image: Princess_Flora.png]

The Brian model has textures that have areas that are black for this purpose. As for Flora, I don't see anything like that. With that in mind, would you please look into that, Segatendo (or anyone else reading this thread)?
Never played Quest 64 but jeez, those models look like a pain to rip.

I know that in general, N64 emulator model exports are pretty buggy. So it must be annoying to deal with.
That part of the hair was a vertex colour. You'll have to make a custom material for that or something.
Are you talking about the seam or where the hair covers her eye?
The seam looks like the Uv's to the right side are flipped upside down, but I couldn't really say for certain.

I believe he's just talking about the single strand of hair that comes down between her eyes, as you can't see a texture on it whatsoever.
Considering how unusual the texture placement of these models are, it wouldn't surprise me if the UVs of the right side of the seam are supposed to look like that.

As for that lock of hair, I already know that it's colored with a vertex color. I ran into things like that on Brian's model and my strategy for Flora's vertex colored parts is not different (i.e. make a special texture for those parts).

What I'm more concerned about are the parts that need an alpha texture to display properly. If I need to create the alpha texture from scratch, so be it; however, if there are textures I could use as alphas, like how it is with Brian, then that'll make my life easier.
(06-05-2016, 06:33 AM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]As for that lock of hair, I already know that it's colored with a vertex color. I ran into things like that on Brian's model and my strategy for Flora's vertex colored parts is not different (i.e. make a special texture for those parts).

What I'm more concerned about are the parts that need an alpha texture to display properly. If I need to create the alpha texture from scratch, so be it; however, if there are textures I could use as alphas, like how it is with Brian, then that'll make my life easier.

I see, also instead of making a "special texture for those parts", why not just use the original texture, scale down the uv's really small and move it on the hair texture somewhere
it'll save you the time and resources (no matter how negligible).
That's also a feasible idea. Still, I'm perfectly fine with doing it either way. Of course, a major consideration with my UV correction is that I'll end up creating a united texture of sorts, so the additional texture is hardly going to take up a lot of space anyway.

By the way, it's funny that you mentioned scaling down the UVs because the parts that rely on vertex colors (including Brian's) are already small to begin with. Tongue
Each texture has a black & white alpha texture counterpart. I didn't bother including because some don't need it at all. Which ones do you need it for? Coloured textures have _c at the end of the name (the ones I sent), and alpha _a, so exact files names would be great.
Ah! That explains it! For now, I think I need the alphas for 5534106B and 4855E316.
Pages: 1 2 3