The VG Resource

Full Version: How should weird UV maps be handled?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working on ripping Linkle from Hyrule Warriors because a lot of people are requesting her. Everything's working just fine, but her eyes are mapped very strangely (i.e. not at all like her eyes look like in-game). Should I leave them like that, or manually fix them to match her in-game appearance?

EDIT: When I ask if I should "leave them like that," I mean to ask if I should upload the model to TMR as-is.

For that matter, how should I map them if it is a better option to fix them? This problem also applies to Twili Midna, and probably a few more models which I haven't yet ripped.

Here's the mesh of Linkle's eyes from the front...

[Image: Nk50Ifl.png]

And here are the two textures.

[Image: O5NBNMy.png][Image: wykIJF1.png]

The sheen and the iris, respectively.
However, this is how it's UV mapped by default...

[Image: 0cbWZuz.png]

[Image: puN6NZo.png]

Not a very accurate mapping, is it? Here's the promo art, for reference

[Image: BQPyQC6.png]
Try setting the texture on the right as the diffuse color. The one on the left shouldn't be set as the diffuse color, but may need the alpha set. Try that and see what happens. If you want, I could take a look at the eyes of Twili Midna to see what if I can find some work around in blender.
(05-15-2016, 09:31 PM)Jinzo-Advance Wrote: [ -> ]Try setting the texture on the right as the diffuse color. The one on the left shouldn't be set as the diffuse color, but may need the alpha set. Try that and see what happens. If you want, I could take a look at the eyes of Twili Midna to see what if I can find some work around in blender.

I have, that's what the second-to-last picture is. The UV mapping wraps around, but it falls on a black spot in the iris texture. The texture on the left is set to control the specular intensity and colour. The image on the right is the diffuse colour.
Could I get the eyes to review them? I get the feeling I might know what to do about the sheen at the very least.
(05-15-2016, 10:22 PM)Jinzo-Advance Wrote: [ -> ]Could I get the eyes to review them? I get the feeling I might know what to do about the sheen at the very least.

Here's a link to the full model.
I'm not detecting it, please edit your post. Also, if you have a reference photo for the eye, I might be able to use it or are you giving me Linkle? Edit: Never mind, I stumbled upon where you hid it. I guess the dark theme makes it harder to detect.
Figured out the iris issue. Look below the face on texture 1. Just switch the texture and you should be fine there. As for the sheen, I think you might have missed part of the model has the same shape, but different UV maps. I'll try to fix it the UV maps by duplicating the iris and adjusting it You'll also want to look around the skirt as part of the model's hair isn't where it should be. I'm not sure what texture 7 is, by the way.

Edit: I'm going to tell you how to fix the sheen. Duplicate the eyes. Hide everything but the new mesh that will be used for the sheen. Rotate your POV to the back of the model. Switch to edit mode then select and delete the tips of the cones on both eyes.

Switch your view back to the front. Click the lower left corner of the bar at the bottom of 3D view window (where the diagonal lines are) and drag your cursor to down. You'll delete the time line area. Do it again, but drag it right instead. You'll split the 3D View window into two if done correctly. Click the cube at the bottom of the left one and change it to UV map editor. This is how you can get a good side by side comparison of UV map to 3D model.

On the right side, select one eye while in edit mode and unwrap it. If done correctly, it will look something like what you're wanting, but a little off. Go over to left side, Mirror the UVs along the Y axis.This will fix that. Do the same to the other eye. If the size of the sheen seems off, select all of the sheen on the right side, then select all UVs and scale them on the left side. Hope this helps.
That's pretty good, it works well. I'll submit it soon, then. I'm still a bit curious as to how and why the 6 and 7 textures were used.

As for the floating hair bits, don't worry about that. That's a side-effect of importing a model with cloth-simulation bits. The offset is a fixed value.

Thanks!
6 is still the eye sheens, I explained how to do that in my last post. I have no clue what 7 is. Could be something you missed. Try reviewing the parts in blender using the UV/3D view side by side comparison set up and see if anything lines up with it. I recommend clicking the white ball to review texture and materials by changing it to another option. Your models didn't look like they had textures/materials applied when I switched to those viewing options.