The VG Resource

Full Version: Splash Hill for Genesis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: untitled_zpsjxmd6qlw.png]

Hey all!

So I've been working on adding levels and characters into the Sonic MAX engine for Gamemaker Studio.
you can see my work here: www.youtube.com/okamikurainya

But I, like many I'm sure, was wondering what Sonic 4 might have been like with a competent engine and so I started looking into porting Act 1 of Splash Hill Zone into Sonic MAX.

Alas, the tiles were off style and too big... Sad
So I set about remaking my own version. It's still a WIP, but I thought I'd put it up here and update every now and then for some feedback since my pixel-work isn't the best.

The palm fronds are kicking my ass at the mo. XD
Hopefully have them done by tonight.

UPDATE:

Loopy loop
[Image: untitled_zpsltkapbsq.png]
It looks pretty good to me so far. With the almost shiny plastic-like texture of the grass and ground, it actually reminds me a bit of the the style used for the opening stages in the 8-bit Sonic games for the Master System and Game Gear.
About time someone bothered to "demake" one of Sonic 4's zones. Even more glad that it's not in Sonic Advance style as well.
I suppose you're using this sheet for reference, as it has everything you need to convert. I really like what you have so far.
[Image: untitled_zpstmbnksg1.png]

Not much in the way of progress. T_T

Leaves! Gah! I either make them splodges or style clashing. >_<
And the palm has oh so many leaves...

(05-10-2016, 03:17 PM)Dolphman Wrote: [ -> ]About time someone bothered to "demake" one of Sonic 4's zones. Even more glad that it's not in Sonic Advance style as well.
I suppose you're using this sheet for reference, as it has everything you need to convert. I really like what you have so far.

I know, right? You'd think there would be a lot more in the way of stage remakes/demakes.
Yip! I used that sheet to start myself off but I'll also have Sonic 4 running in the background once I get started on the flowers and such.
Also, thanks! Genki ^_^

(05-10-2016, 11:58 AM)DurradonXylles Wrote: [ -> ]It looks pretty good to me so far. With the almost shiny plastic-like texture of the grass and ground, it actually reminds me a bit of the the style used for the opening stages in the 8-bit Sonic games for the Master System and Game Gear.

Noooo! This is 16-bit! XD
Kidding aside, I think I see what you mean. 8-bit may have had to use higher contrasts for their tiles?
Very good sprites.
I have imported some Sonic 4 sprites from the Wii version in a sonic game developed in Construct 2; I will do a capture.
This is what Sonic 4 should of been.
[Image: untitled_zpsdxbqsdfg.png]

Leaves are difficult. >_< If anyone would be willing to lend a hand with the leafy bits I'd be mighty grateful.

Also, does the base of the platform look alright? I'm pretty sure Sonic 1 does something similar?
The colour choices don't match any used in Sonic 1, so I used their colour set, along with making it look more like Sonic 1 platforms (less colours)

No 16-bit Mega Drive Sonic game used flat tops for the grass, so I made it a bit more grassy, along with shading differences for a more Sonic 1 aesthetic.

[Image: OflrYLY.png]
(05-11-2016, 08:12 PM)Fillerthefreak Wrote: [ -> ]The colour choices don't match any used in Sonic 1, so I used their colour set, along with making it look more like Sonic 1 platforms (less colours)

No 16-bit Mega Drive Sonic game used flat tops for the grass, so I made it a bit more grassy, along with shading differences for a more Sonic 1 aesthetic.

[Image: OflrYLY.png]

As cool as that looks, it defeats the purpose of this exercise. Still, the colour scheme does go well with the overhanging grass. Big Grin
Sort of makes me think of a fusion between Splash, Green and Emerald Hill.

[Image: untitled_zpsfireo82q.png]

So I finished the S-pipe and did a little tweak of the floating platform. Cut away the corner pixel to give it a bit more of a rounded look and darkened the bottom bricks.
Either way. The sprite work is really good.

Have you thought of doing the enemies and such in the 16-bit style?
(05-11-2016, 09:09 PM)Fillerthefreak Wrote: [ -> ]Either way. The sprite work is really good.

Have you thought of doing the enemies and such in the 16-bit style?

I have nowhere near that level of skill. >_>
90% of this is me stumbling in the dark and accidentally making something ok. XD

That said, it would be awesome if someone reading this with that level of skill could do that? IIRC there is a "Modern" 16-bit Chopper badnik sheet floating around out there, wouldn't be surprised if there's a crabmeat as well.

[Image: untitled_zpsranmseaq.png]

Hole in'da wall.
[Image: SplashHillZoneTileset_zpse5belicj.png]
Since I'm using these to actually rebuild the level in Sonic MAX, I've started remaking the actual in-game tiles. This is everything from the starting area so far.

Just for interest's sake, does anyone know how many tiles a single Sonic 1/ 2 zone can actually have?

Also, I'm planning on having 3 palettes, one for the tiles, one for the objects and one for the background. Is that actually possible in the Genesis games?
Well you have four palette slots in Genesis/MegaDrive games that can hold fifteen colours with the sixteenth being used for transparency.
So the Sonic games' palette slots pretty much went like this:

First slot - Playable character, Dr. Robotnik, some Badniks, objects and items
Second slot - Some Badniks, objects, and items like rings
Third slot - foreground tileset. Sometimes certain in-level objects
Fourth slot - Background features like the ones that use parallax scrolling.

Hope that helps, unless you know that already. Tongue
These look awesome!

And good luck with your project.
(05-12-2016, 04:23 PM)Dolphman Wrote: [ -> ]Well you have four palette slots in Genesis/MegaDrive games that can hold fifteen colours with the sixteenth being used for transparency.
So the Sonic games' palette slots pretty much went like this:

First slot - Playable character, Dr. Robotnik, some Badniks, objects and items
Second slot - Some Badniks, objects, and items like rings
Third slot - foreground tileset. Sometimes certain in-level objects
Fourth slot - Background features like the ones that use parallax scrolling.

Hope that helps, unless you know that already. Tongue

I did not, thanks! That always confused me, it makes creating something that could be used in a rom hack that much more complicated. >_<
Then again, that wasn't really my goal from the start, just something cool I thought others might get out of it. :/

(05-12-2016, 05:13 PM)DarkGrievous7145 Wrote: [ -> ]These look awesome!

And good luck with your project.

Thanks!
I'm actually looking for sprite help with it, thought I'd just contribute to the site again a bit before making any requests. Smile
Pages: 1 2