The VG Resource

Full Version: THE DECO RESOURCE: The Potential Game based on the not movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: niE0MHh.png]

So you might have noticed that I draw the forum as an art deco city... If you haven't here is some concept art
Now for this project... I have one sprite in all it's glorious entirety 
[Image: lho3cIB.png]

I have no programming skill whatsoever. But, basically this is Deco Resource, the sprite thread I guess

Guide of style coming to a thread near you
[Image: ZfvYdtG.png]
IT'S SOMETHING!

I have no clue how to make complete palettes
[Image: nRnuLPO.png]
IT'SSSSS JETTERS!
It is difficult to tell what is going on with the arms and legs in that sprite. Is she supposed to only have one arm? Also there is a line of green pixels in between the legs which I am confused as to what it represents. You might want to rework the heels a little bit as well. When looking at most high heels or flats, you will notice that they normally have a bit of skin showing on the top of the foot.
Maybe when you rework the arms and legs you might also want to make the pose a bit less stiff.

Interesting character design though, does look rather '20s. Reminds me of the statue of liberty somewhat. I was wondering what material you imagine her being made of? 

I might also recommend pushing the hue-shift a bit further, but that's a personal opinion.
(04-12-2016, 04:47 PM)Koala Wrote: [ -> ]It is difficult to tell what is going on with the arms and legs in that sprite. Is she supposed to only have one arm? Also there is a line of green pixels in between the legs which I am confused as to what it represents. You might want to rework the heels a little bit as well. When looking at most high heels or flats, you will notice that they normally have a bit of skin showing on the top of the foot.
Maybe when you rework the arms and legs you might also want to make the pose a bit less stiff.

Interesting character design though, does look rather '20s. Reminds me of the statue of liberty somewhat. I was wondering what material you imagine her being made of? 

I might also recommend pushing the hue-shift a bit further, but that's a personal opinion.
If you feel the palette and general design of textures can be improved your free to do so yourself

While that does seem like "Guh! If it's wrong you do it!" It's wrong but instead that's an invitation to help me with this

Otherwise I'm trying to make the face more angular and the body be less stiff
[Image: eAY0gIL.png]
There, That should fix Jetters up.

to answer your questions, her other arm is obscured by her body, and yes she's designed in a 1920's fashion, she's based on Jetter's Bloom character whom is a robot, the ultimate design for her here is Connie Boswell as the robot from Metropolis, the metal is just green
[Image: jROldRl.png]

ALL ABOARD THE WEIRDLY COLORED TRAIN!
I really like the look of this. I am a fan of Film Noir and you sprites look to capture the style.
I think you should experiment with the shading on Jetters a bit to achieve a more metallic look. The current sprite doesn't really read as metal, just dark green skin.

Something like this maybe:

New Old
[Image: UCOb8qh.png]
It's difficult to add much reflection when working around all the details, but it's something. Was also messing with the leg positioning since I found yours a bit unbalanced looking but I never came up with anything I'm very proud of so probably ignore that for now.
[Image: 5J1HlwF.png]
It's weird how the shadiest man in all of Tsrville is also the Chief of Police
[Image: xPPh4BL.png]
Tsrville's Skyline
[Image: 1ZX0J3C.png]

Altogether now!
[Image: cgmKDWh.png]
olduserjokes.png

[Image: ieqAJmd.png]
[Image: JLhLpRJ.png]
[Image: 1MzLIzp.png]
[Image: jRkeNhW.png]

andddddd...
[Image: Dz51UIZ.png]
me
the sprites look alright but you kinda lack spatial awareness in the female character's face

I think that you should use the highlights/shadows to your advantage and shape up the facial features in "3D".

outlines are drawing in 2D, and shading is drawing in 3D. Remember this well

[Image: b5f914856d819a748cc80099cc904eff.png]

Here's my attempt, both 1x and 2x for your convenience

I did two versions, the one in the left uses your outline, and the second was a slight edit to make the character look younger, since it's supposed to be Mighty's OC

ofc if the character is older here then you can ignore it A-ok, but still give it a look and check how swapping some pixels can make a huge difference

oh yeah alright i just edited the face, not the hair. I think you could make the hair a little better but I'd like you to tackle it.
Ultimately the character is a robot, hence the pupiless eyes and weird hair (it's supposed to be segmented with ventilation) I could try to go for a more humanish Brigitte Helm kind of look as you kinda presented the face in 2

otherwise... How is this?
[Image: Fz6LlkX.jpg]
Pages: 1 2