The VG Resource

Full Version: SMRPG NES Bootleg Thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I was super bored the other night and ended up doodling these.

They're supposed to look as if someone had made a bootleg version of SMRPG for the NES.

[Image: SMRPGbootleg001x2.png]

The Mario ones on the left were my first attempt where I was trying to make them look more like the sprites from the original game. Then I changed the hat to look more like traditional Mario 'cuz I thought it looked better.

Anyways, what do you think? I'll probably make some full sheets if people are interested.

Honestly if people were interested I wouldn't mind making this a group project to do every character/enemy from the game (in which case I call dibs on finishing these three). Dunno if there would be enough interest for that though.
this looks really awesome please continue immediately
Hope to see this turn into a real game too haha. Although, to truly capture the true bootleg feeling, some sprites should look out of place or have the wrong colors or something but I digress - great job!
Nice! I would suggest making Mallow yellow instead of pink. That way you can use pink for Peach.
I would prefer the term Demake instead of Bootlegs because these look too good to be bootlegs.
These sprites look excellent to me, great job!

Though I have to admit, I think bootleg style sprites would look less on par with the official sprites from the SNES game.

These, in my opinion, are far more professional looking and simply amazing.
idk it doesn't look like bootleg NES

Bootleggers would probably just run the original sprites in a color limiter filter and call it a day
These look like too much effort was put in to be bootleg, but I would like to see this project go somewhere.
We can call it a demake if you want. No skin off my nose either way.

I think I could use some help with Peach. Er ... or Toadstool, as I guess she was still called at this point. Making her look good in this style is proving to be a bit challenging.

[Image: SMRPGbootlegPeach01x2.png]

I feel like the bottom-left one is getting there, but I feel like it could be better.

Also for fun here's some Bowsers that I whipped up in like twenty seconds; I haven't put much effort into him yet.

[Image: SMRPGbootlegBowser01x2.png]
Bottom left and center Peaches both look pretty good!
I like the bottom left one myself. Having no visible mouth matches the original sprite.
[Image: 89597b34a4b8f522040d225b0aead988.png]

tried shuffling some of the pixels. more care should be taken when placing clusters, and since this is NES style sprite, you need to put the most details you can while keeping things readable. the original sprite has no mouth but trying to mimic it in 8-bit makes her look kinda... weird
I love them Big Grin
The left column of Mario sprites look less like Mario, which in a way, actually makes them look better if you're going for a bootleg look.

As for Gors' edit of Peach, I'd keep the lipstick on. Just seems to fit her more.
All we need is some of the soundtrack converted into Hummer Team instruments. =P
(03-18-2016, 07:33 PM)Jermungandr Wrote: [ -> ]Also for fun here's some Bowsers that I whipped up in like twenty seconds; I haven't put much effort into him yet.

[Image: SMRPGbootlegBowser01x2.png]

Personally, I like the color palate of the one on the top right, however I think the bottom left one has a better composition to the sprite altogether in terms of the anatomy.

Also just for the sake of doing a quick edit: I'm not sure if this would help the sprite, but don't NES limitations allow for one transparent color? if so you might be able to get away with a little more detail in the pixels like this:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=6272]

But if that's not what you're aiming for, then that is understandable too. Either way I love the idea of the project and I'd like to see more in the future.
Pages: 1 2