The VG Resource

Full Version: Link in TotW: ND3 Style... I think (incomplete and needs rating)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EDIT: Okay, I've gotten quite a bit done on this since the first one, so I put what I have up so far, but mainly just look at the Resources part, since that's all I worked on. The put-togethers are all the same as last time. Oh yeah, and just to get this out of the way... His face isn't pillow-shaded, that's the shadow his hair is giving off.

Also, I have a bit of a question: If and when I'm done and I submit this, should it go in the Tales of the World 3 section, or the Legend of Zelda customs section?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping that this fits in some way or another with the Narikiri Dungeon 3 theme. Attachment is on the bottom.

Please do criticize, just don't be mean, please (still learning how to custom sprite).

Things I'm improving:
- Anatomy needs work, a lot of work. Namely, hands, feet, torso, etc. [WORKING]
- Overall lineart is choppy, and square. [WORKING]
- Lightsource is incorrect, and shading is contradicting. [DONE]
- Colors need contrast. [WORKING]
- Sword/Shield's outline is black, while Link's outline is colored. [DONE]
- Sword/Shied's colors are MS Paint defaults. NEVER use Paint's default colors. [DONE]
- White is R:255, B:255, G:255. Don't use that, either. [DONE]
- I haven't checked, but the animation doesn't seem like it'll be smooth, and for some reason, the sword bends. [DONE]
- Face is pillow-shaded. [DONE]
Hoo boy, this needs some serious work.
I'll list, since paragraphs are long and confusing:
- Anatomy needs work, a lot of work. Namely, hands, feet, torso, etc.
- Overall lineart is choppy, and square.
- Lightsource is incorrect, and shading is contradicting.
- Colors need contrast.
- Sword/Shield's outline is black, while Link's outline is colored.
- Sword/Shied's colors are MS Paint defaults. NEVER use Paint's default colors.
- White is R:255, B:255, G:255. Don't use that, either.
- I haven't checked, but the animation doesn't seem like it'll be smooth, and for some reason, the sword bends.
- Face is pillow-shaded.

I think I didn't miss anything...You might want to check those terms out if you're not familiar with them. You might want to tackle something more simple.
imageshack.us

use it
(11-01-2008, 06:40 PM)Furs Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, on the bottom...where?

(Once you post it, I will edit this post with criticism.)

P.S. do as 1up says, it's a good idea.

LOL forgot to attach! It's up now.
(11-01-2008, 06:40 PM)Furs Wrote: [ -> ]Hoo boy, this needs some serious work.
I'll list, since paragraphs are long and confusing:
- Anatomy needs work, a lot of work. Namely, hands, feet, torso, etc.
- Overall lineart is choppy, and square.
- Lightsource is incorrect, and shading is contradicting.
- Colors need contrast.
- Sword/Shield's outline is black, while Link's outline is colored.
- Sword/Shied's colors are MS Paint defaults. NEVER use Paint's default colors.
- White is R:255, B:255, G:255. Don't use that, either.
- I haven't checked, but the animation doesn't seem like it'll be smooth, and for some reason, the sword bends.
- Face is pillow-shaded.

I think I didn't miss anything...You might want to check those terms out if you're not familiar with them. You might want to tackle something more simple.

Yeah, I'll admit I did get a little lazy with the sword and shield. Can I ask what you mean by contrast, though? I'm not sure I get THAT...

EDIT: Heck, I don't think I got any of that... What's pillow shading? And I did check, it does animate pretty well, but I'll fix it using those guidelines you gave me. Thanks a billion.
This doesn't look ND3 style at all. For one, the lightsource should never come from behind the character ever. Lightsource is always in front, slightly above the character.
looked up a tutorial for some pictures

pillowshading:
[Image: pillow.gif], [Image: rocky.gif]
not pillowshading:
[Image: shading1.gif]
(11-01-2008, 07:27 PM)NOT1up Wrote: [ -> ]looked up a tutorial for some pictures

pillowshading:
[Image: pillow.gif], [Image: rocky.gif]
not pillowshading:
[Image: shading1.gif]

Oh, GREAT! Thanks! This is what I needed! I'll make these look awesome now!
(11-01-2008, 07:25 PM)Angelglory Wrote: [ -> ]This doesn't look ND3 style at all. For one, the lightsource should never come from behind the character ever. Lightsource is always in front, slightly above the character.

Kind of the idea of "I'm fixing it".