The VG Resource

Full Version: Maverick Hunter X?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've been trying to figure this out for a while with repeated searching, and I'm somewhat surprised no one else has tried to extract this game's models before. The problem is everything lies in one big archive, with a small same-named "loc" file with it. If someone could have a look, we can hopefully figure it out and well have some new content for TMR!

Dropbox Link
So apparently someone had figured this out a long time ago, however the link I found related to it leads to a 404 error and there doesn't seem to be any research anywhere for it otherwise. I get the feeling this may be something we'll need to tackle here ourselves.
Progress! Thanks to a big help from a fine person at Zenhax, we managed to get a script that extracts the contents of the archive, and the underlying archives within. Most seem like semi-standard psp formats. However, the files I believe are models, come in series of files with numerically organized filenames. The file type is CPK, but all research into that has not been able to extract these. Looking briefly into it hex-wise I find the header is 'CPK0' with some of them also having a second header of 'PTEX'.

Sample Files
That's great that someone managed to get the Maverick Hunter X models out properly! If only we had a good extracter for it.
Figured I'd go check it out since I think it goes without saying I'm a fan of the Mega Man games.
[Image: MMMHX-XModelWIP.png]

I've got the vertex points, bone structures and rigging loading properly, but I need to figure out how the heck the polygons and UV mapping are done for the models. Probably just a simple mistake in my scripting, I'll do some more experimentation first. But as a bonus, once this is all fixed up it'll also work on the models from Powered Up, since they use the same formats.

[Image: MMPU-GutsManModelWIP.png]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2787...HX_CPK.bms
There's the script for decompressing the CPK files, it was pretty easy to figure out and set up.
Where did you get the CPK files? From the ISO or through the Java PSP emulator?
(08-30-2015, 02:00 AM)Chris Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Where did you get the CPK files? From the ISO or through the Java PSP emulator?
From the ISO, using the two QuickBMS scripts that AlphaTwentyThree made on the DAT/LOC files.
I want to try doing it myself, but I dunno how to work quickbms. Can you help me?

EDIT : Nvm, figured it out. So what exactly are the .dec files?
(08-30-2015, 02:39 AM)Chris Shade Wrote: [ -> ]I want to try doing it myself, but I dunno how to work quickbms. Can you help me?

EDIT : Nvm, figured it out. So what exactly are the .dec files?
Just an extension I chose so that the decompressed files wouldn't overwrite the originals, that's all. The data in those should actually be usable.
Where exactly are the models? And what format are they supposed to be?
(08-30-2015, 03:14 AM)Chris Shade Wrote: [ -> ]Where exactly are the models? And what format are they supposed to be?
You've got to look through trial and error, they don't really have distinguishable headers. They seem to be located before the files with PTEX at the beginning.

Anyway, getting close to finished. Just got to figure out why half of the polygons are inverted.
[Image: MMMHX-ArmoredArmadilloModelWIP.png]

(EDIT: Got it! I'll begin ripping the models from both Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up for The Models Resource soon-ish!)
[Image: MMPU-AlleyCatRollModel.png]
What format are you viewing the models in?

As for the inverted polygons. Blender has this UV function called Recalculate Normals.
But first select all faces in edit mode, press W and remove duplicates first before pressing the recalculate Normals.
(08-30-2015, 05:11 AM)Chris Shade Wrote: [ -> ]What format are you viewing the models in?

As for the inverted polygons. Blender has this UV function called Recalculate Normals.
But first select all faces in edit mode, press W and remove duplicates first before pressing the recalculate Normals.
Since I've been using 3DS Max's Maxscript functionality, it reads the original model files and builds the models directly in the program.

But either way, inverted polygons aren't a problem anymore, found the one byte that determines the read order for the triangle strips used for the models.
Oh my Gooooood I am so stoked to see this!! Thank you RTB. Big Grin
very impressive... good job RTB
Pages: 1 2