The VG Resource

Full Version: A nooby spriter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a new person to spriting. I have no idea what programs to use, where to find them or what to do when i do.

I love watching sprite movies and my friends sometimes try to help me but im still lost.Cry

please help
first off, no requests. Second, you use the paint program.
not too complicated.
you save as a png, rather than a jpeg.
Sorry to tell you, a mod will probably lock this soon.
Ms paint. If you dont have it get it!
(10-24-2008, 08:03 PM)thornmask Wrote: [ -> ]first off, no requests. Second, you use the paint program.
not too complicated.
you save as a png, rather than a jpeg.
Sorry to tell you, a mod will probably lock this soon.

are there any specific paint programs for new people like me.
Do you have a Mac? Download Pixen.

If not, MS Paint does fine.
i dont have a mac or ms paint
Step 1: GET THE PROGRAM that you'll use to edit images.
Well, you should be able to download MS Paint (if you have a Windows) easily. Just Google "Microsoft Paint", and it should find someplace for you to download it from. Otherwise, you can check out "download.com" and find something (for free) there that would be an equivalent or better than MS Paint.
Something, maybe like Paint.NET. Try it out, at least.

Step 2: GET THE PROGRAM that you'll use to rip images.
If this means taking out the sprites (known as "ripping") from a particular video game (for example, Super Mario World) exactly as they are in-game, then you'll need a program known as an "emulator". These emulators are programs that will run the game files of console games (i.e. the Super Nintendo), but each program is only intended to ever run one specific console (or a group of consoles, depending on the emulator) at a time (i.e. an emulator that primarily runs SNES games usually only can run SNES games). Even after you get the program, you'll need the game file itself, known as the "ROM" file. Depending on the emulator, you'll also need additional files to get it to run correctly.
CAUTION: the legality of some sites that provide either or both the emulator and/or the ROM file can be questionable, so make sure you research around to make sure the site:
1) doesn't transmit viruses or other bad stuffs,
2) doesn't gets its ROMs illegally,
3) is very highly respected and accepted by rippers and just plain emulator-gamers alike.
HOWEVER: if you plan on simply making your own sprites, (known as "custom"-style), just skip this step.

Step 3: MAKE A PLAN of what you want to sprite / rip / edit.
Written. because written plans are better than verbal plans or simply no plans at all.

Step 4: FEEL YOUR WAY AROUND different styles of spriting.
This includes making sprites based off of patterns found in other games (i.e. "SMW-style" sprites), making just plain custom-styled sprites (i.e. "custom-style" SMW sprites), or simply ripping sprites from their game.
NOTE: editing already-ripped sprites is another possibility, but BE CAUTIOUS when doing this. Simply recoloring sprites is just a plain no-no. Editing sprites can be used to either:
1) touch up on errors in the sprite itself, (i.e., making the "Goombob" character look more like an actual Goomba), or
2) mix-and-match parts to make a justified, other character, one that's still in the game / continuity or the series / universe (i.e., a Spiky Goomba).
JUST BE CAREFUL in doing this.

Step 5: CREDIT ANYONE whose work helped you make your sprites.
Meaning, if you use parts from a sheet made by A.J. Nitro, make sure to say thanks to A.J. Nitro on the sprite sheet you make. If Mageker made a few poses for you sheet, credit him, too. Also be sure to name yourself as the "author" of the sheet, and the company (companies) that made the game whose sprite style /character you're mimicking /making (if any).

Step 6: BE COMPLETE in making your sheet.
If you want others to use your sheet, make sure it's complete enough for them to use it. Otherwise, don't post your sheet anywhere.

That should give you a start. Thanks for your time.
Why do I have a feeling this is a troll trying to piss people off?

And yes you do have Paint, try looking in your accessories folder in the start menu for once. Oh and make sure you zoom in by 8x when your making a sprite otherwise it wont be considered a sprite if you make it while its zoomed by 1x, you can do that with the magnifier button.

EDIT: Nevermind Miles07 beat me.
If you have windows then you should have MS paint. If he doesnt know how to work easy normal sprites, Miles, he probably doesnt need Paint.NET. (no offense, or any hard feelings, if that sentence sounds bad)
ugh

Go to Start > Accessories > Paint. Topic over.
Jeez Vupert, do you have to always make posts like that?

People have said that earlier in the thread.

Edit: Oh, okay. sorry.
umwhat
no they didn't

oh nevermind
didn't see linkin's post there

everyone was suggesting paint.net and stuff so you know
My friend told me to usse Flashjet...I did but have no idea what to do
(10-25-2008, 06:05 PM)AfroThousand Wrote: [ -> ]My friend told me to usse Flashjet...I did but have no idea what to do

Just use paint, It's easy, and all you gotta remember is when you save stuff, save as PNG, k

you don't HAVE to use flashjet, read the posts above from other people instead of just saying you don't know what to do...
Try this topic. It got really interesting and useful tips.
Also, there are some tutorials here on this site.