The VG Resource

Full Version: Ninja Nathan's Sprites 'n Stuff.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, peoples, I made this top-down style Ridley a couple of days ago and I was wondering which color of wing suited him better.

EDIT: [Image: ridleywingssa4.png]

Reuploaded to imageshack, not jpeged anymore.
I think the second on fits!
Its jpeged
And it doesn't look much like ridley. Try studying how Ridely looks a bit more. Also, I wouldn't suggest top down for him, since that would be incredibly hard to do. Speaking of top down, this isn't top down. Take a good look at Minish Cap for an example of what top down looks like.
The shading is also sort of pillowed, and the wings texture doesn't look that good.

Why not try something more simple?
THAT WAS RIDLEY!!!
I know what ridley look like, as you can see im still working on him, and yes thats top down, minish cap is like rpg, style, like looking at the scene from 45 degrees or something. I was thinking of going with the first one, cause his wings sorta look that color in brawl.

oh and i think its jpeg'd cause i use photobucket.
Pillowed, doesn't look like ridley, ect.

What cshad said.
(10-22-2008, 10:39 PM)Shawario Wrote: [ -> ]THAT WAS RIDLEY!!!
Are you the 10-year-old kid, because this is the reason why we don't allow kids below 13 in forums.

Yes, the Ridley is pillowshaded, pillowshading is having the center of an object being the lightest and getting darker as it approaches the edges. That's what's happening here.

It's not that bad of a sprite, you just have to adjust the lighting to the front of him. It depends what you're going to use him for or what you want people to use him for. If it's for a shoot-em-up (galaga, raptor, dodon pachi, space invaders, etc), usually the lighting comes from in front of the sprite. You can also avoid pillowshading that way.

Good start, welcome to the forums. Read the rules and be a cool dude. B)
Thanks for being nice, I dont see many of that floating around here. Its sorta hard to change the light direction as the game he is gonna be use for the time is like midday, so the light is directly above him, is there some way I can impove on him? Other than making him more like brawls Ridley.
If I were you, I'd make the contrast higher and the purple have more hue shifts.
Ok, ok.

Here is your ridley side view (crappy example).
[Image: corner2uo9.png]
What you're doing is on the left, you're shading it like the light is the same all around. That just doesn't happen, even if it's the sun we're talking about.

The one assumes that it is the sun and it's directly above it. The shading still wouldn't be pillowed because light doesn't hit the object completely parallel.

EDIT:
Really, guys, I think you're just flaunting terms. Don't assume everyone knows what contrast and hue shift is, explain it to them. If they're a new guy, most probably they wouldn't know that.
Thans for the help Mr. Buttbutt, Ill do that, and put it up when im done. ^,^
Also, this might help you out too. Study the way the light falls on all of Ridley's curves and shapes in the Prime Series or MZM to get a better idea of his shapes. You currently have domed shapes. He's got more of a ridged face and his eyes are hard to see from above. Also, I suggest shaping his body in general to be more than just rounded ovals.

Good luck, I hope you take our advice to heart.
I remade Ridley, his head is more like the MZM Ridley, I sorta change the shading on the body and I added his arms also I haven't finished the wings.

[Image: ridleyv2ud4.png]
Did you even read what Mr. Buttbutt said at all?

I don't mean to sound rude, but if it helps get my point across, so be it.
Do not Pillow-shade. It is not visually pleasing, and well, yeah, it's lazy.
If you still don't understand pillow-shading, here's yet another example...
[Image: pillowsmf4.png]
Left is pillow shading (Light's on the inside), and Right is a random kind of not-pillow shading.
BTW, isn't Ridley supposed to be bony? His face screams "Circle Tool was here" way too much; then again, it could change when you add details, I don't know.

Also, don't complain about people's comments, even if they sound offensive, the point of this forum is to help you improve. Simply ignore the offensive part, gather the constructive criticism, and work on it.

Good luck, and welcome.
Did you not see the newer one, its like two posts up, i made his face more like MZM's Ridley. and I still find it hard to not pillowshade when the light source is like midday.
Pages: 1 2