The VG Resource

Full Version: Back to posting, here's what I've been up to
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How is everyone? I've barely posted anything here in the last few years, but now that I'm getting back into the spriting groove, I figured I would make another thread to get feedback from all you awesome people. As it's been a long time since my last thread, there's a lot of content, so I'm going to sort stuff by year. Some things may be outdated; I make small revisions all the time, so pardon for that.

A handful of the sprites are watermarked because I've actually been targeted by sprite thieves on more than one occasion. Again, sorry!

Warning: lots of crappy sprites below, click to show

And here's one last sprite dump
OH MY-- Wow. You are one of the most talented spriters I've ever seen. The colour usage on the Banzai Bill, the pre rendered look of the DQ Slime, the detail put into the Kyrum sprites, the super smooth animations... My gosh these are amazing. I can't think of anything to say other than, keep it up.
I owe it all to the good feedback I've received in the past. Well not all, but you get the idea. The tSR (or should I say VG Resource) community may be harsh with their critique sometimes but we all share the same goal of improvement.

A lot of time goes into these things sometimes, maybe even more than I'd like to admit!
Wow! I really like the sprites you've done here. Those are the best custom Pokemon G/S/C style sprites I've seen, and the M&L ones look amazing as well! The only issue I saw was the walk animations looked a little stiff, but I see you made them much better by the time you did Kirby. I'd really like to see you do more animations like Kirby and the DQ Slime.

But where's the crappy sprites?
Oh, the walk animations? Most M&L characters have a 5-frame shuffling animation for their walk cycle so I tried to replicate it. There are a few exceptions like Bowser, who has a full walking cycle, so I tried that as well with the Kirby. When I begin animating my original RPG cast, they're gonna have proper walking cycles too, but first I have to get the idle poses to look as good as they can.

The crappy sprites are there, you just gotta look harder.
Man. I love those Dry Bowser sprites. The FF5 ones are great too. Awesome work.
I can't say if I remember ever meeting you on this site or not, but I am very impressed by your work. While I'm not exactly a spriter myself, I want to be able to replicate the Mario & Luigi sprite style using digital painting techniques. With that said, your work provides some good inspiration on what I can shoot for.
wow, can really see the progression, truly an inspiration
Nice work! I always loved Ridge's and yours work!
I remember seeing your posts back in the past. I'm really glad to see another talented spriter return!

(Please post some more, we could use some more inspiration!)

((Welcome back))
Thanks for welcoming me back, everyone. I'll be away from my computer for the next few days so I won't be posting any new sprites. Will try to reply to comments and critique, though! If you have some pointers on a particular sprite, you can add it into your post so it's easier to write about them individually.

[Image: dnlgKM8.gif][Image: 08gN1EP.gif]

I'll fix the hind legs for the final version!
After getting inspiration from seeing LuigiM9's King Boo sprite, I decided I needed to make my own. Custom style though I took some cues from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team / Paper Jam. King Boo's body is supposed to be transparent when in use, and I've included both the original and a 2x version so it's easier to see details. Crit certainly welcome!
[Image: bZImswo.gif][Image: hwxpIYm.gif]
Why exactly is the front part of King Boo a darker color than the rest of his body? I can understand if the light source is behind him, but the way the crown is shaded suggests that the light is above him from the center. Does this have something to do with him being transparent?
The shading is mostly based on how he appears in Mario Party 10 (link), plus it adds a nice spooky effect. As for the crown being lit from the back or front, it's a matter of taste I suppose. Personally I prefer the previous one.
[Image: 7YgFK9R.png][Image: UXE5wWR.png]
After looking at the video, I can understand why you placed that lighter area around King Boo's body. It's not so much a highlight but rather a spectral glow around most of his body. To translate that into pixel art, though, I'm honestly not sure how you'll be able to pull it off without post-production effects.

As for the crown, even though it makes sense for the shading that is implied by King Boo's "highlights," I can agree that the previous crown looks better. To keep the previous crown, I would almost say that King Boo needs to be shaded from the front to allow the shading to make sense and look consistent, but I don't really want to give you too much to worry and unintentionally destroy the eerie image you're trying to capture here.
Pages: 1 2