The VG Resource

Full Version: Penguin Sprite Sheet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to make a penguin sprite sheet for a game about global warming and I find it quite difficult.

Can you guys give me advice or help me out? I'd really appreciate it.

The penguin I want to sprite is a 64x64 Emperor Penguin chick. It should be short and fat, like this one:

[Image: mini-baby-emperor-penguin-250.jpg]

My lineart so far is this:
[Image: penguinshadego6.png]

Thank you,
Jesse
Hi XMD.

The lineart looks okay, but it looks like its head might be too big. Also, I think that his arm might be angled wrong...
Well, what sprite style do you want it to be in? It'll help us to critique it as a sprite if we have an idea of what other sprite we should compare it to.

As a generality, though, I'd say it needs a bit more AA. And the neck shouldn't reach all the way up the back of its head.
I've redone the penguin. I decided to draw it in a tablet, and make the style an unrealistic, cartoon look with this type of shading:

[Image: penguinshadego6.png]

Ignore the second picture, those are the collision boundaries.

This style of shading is new to me, and I think it would make a fresh new look if I continued it. Any critique on it?
Looks nice. Not much more I can say.
Something about that mysterious band of light where his neck should be worries me.
At first I thought you meant the penguin from Batman, I'm an idiot. Anyway I think the head should be just a little rounder in the front and the wings should be thinner. And the white patch sould go all the way under neath its mouth.
Vector:

[Image: penguinvectorcy2.png]
The wing seems a bit bigger (or longer) than the reference pic you're using. Also it got really black feet. Other than that, it's so cute I want to poke it! It's looking great so far!
I suggest you to do the parts separately in photoshop (using layers). It's easier to animate if want to make a game.
I'm not too experienced with animation in Photoshop; I use Paint and Inkscape (for vectors).

I will change the foot color and split the penguin into parts, however. Thank you for the advice.