The VG Resource

Full Version: cy does pixel art again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys! idk if you remember me but i did pixel art for a while and then forgot about this website

anyway, it's been almost 2 years since i've really done any pixel art anymore and i'm terribly rusty now. here is some new stuff I've worked on, for both myself and my friends. older first.

[Image: tumblr_ngz3mjTj1j1qfpgblo2_75sq.png][Image: tumblr_ngz3mjTj1j1qfpgblo1_75sq.png]  weird chibi things i did of wallace and one of my fave musicians
[Image: tumblr_nlss8lIhZq1qfpgblo1_100.png] Gen 4 styled fakemon for my friend's region
[Image: tumblr_nm990dHF6S1qfpgblo1_100.png][Image: tumblr_nm990dHF6S1qfpgblo2_100.png]more fave musicians as pirates

[Image: f8334dc94af4171407a65d47838bbe3f.png][Image: 033f906b9c062644d89b79bb1e905b4f.png] cute desert lizard guy who wears a bandana. design is my friend's.

crits on the lizard dude and fakemon are really appreciated. <3
hey im not sure how bumping in this situation is but since no one replied and it's been a while i decided to reply if that's alright!
[Image: tumblr_nqstz1ySfy1qfpgblo1_100.png]  
some things im really iffy on especially the wings and arms so any crits would be incredibly appreciated Heart
They're not very readable as wings at this angle. You might want to try a different pose that shows the wings more clearly.
oh shiiiiit you're coolyoshi isn't that it ?
dayum memories

i like it

anyways i did an edit
[Image: UPQbl6E.png]
the first was just me trying to see if flipping the arm would make the pose work, but apparently only flipping the bird did
the second is the edit im talking about : pushed the arm back, enlarged the wings, lowered the tail and fixed a few jaggies here and there (yes i know there are still plenty on the wing, you go ahead and have fun with that)
(07-01-2015, 07:43 AM)Lexou Duck Wrote: [ -> ]anyways i did an edit
[Image: UPQbl6E.png]
the first was just me trying to see if flipping the arm would make the pose work, but apparently only flipping the bird did

I wish making that type of edit became the norm around here.

"I made an edit. I wanted to see if things worked if I changed a few things, but flipping the bird worked out the best"
Oh yeah and here's the real edits I wanted to make"

p.s. hi coolyoshi welcome back
oh no sorry to disappoint you guys, im not coolyoshi! unless I am, but i'm pretty sure i'm not.
 thank you for the crits. i tried to redo the wings without as many jaggies and made them longer (stole the cool design too) but im not entirely sure. once i'm done i'll probably do something about the visibility of the arms vs the wings as well

[Image: IffHH0u.png]
It's great so far, but I think the problem here is that it's arm doesn't seem to be turned enough, looking like it's almost the same angle as the other one.

[Image: Your_Arm_strip2.png]

I also tried lowering the farthest-back wing because it looked a bit too high compared to the other one. I hope this helps!
thank you! i twisted the arm and lowered the wing. i also separated all the parts into different layers for easier animating, but i'm not sure where to start. :/ i just wanted to do a simple bouncy animation of sorts. I kinda wanted to do a quick tween animation for it first and then clean it up, but i don't know of any program that can do that for me. I'm using aseprite, btw.
[Image: RUJ7p7l.png]
ASEprite? Lucky you. I've got an in-depth tutorial on how to make BW-styled animations in that program. You can find it here. Smile

Great job on the design, by the way. White/orange/green is a very bold palette that you don't see too often!
You can make modular(tween) animations like those found in Pokemon B&W by using Brashmonkey's Spriter software (http://brashmonkey.com/) as well; though it's about 60 bucks for the pro version.

as for the sprite itself: the silhouette of its left (our right) arm doesn't read well against the wing from a distance. This can either be fixed by redesigning elements of the character (like making the forearms white) or by changing the pose, such as having that arm up, revealing the white region underneath.

I cut down a few of the colors because they were very similar (though I'd probably cut them down even further) I also tweaked a few of the shadows because they were either a bit flat or unneeded.
[Image: 381ebf1c8a.png]
But I think my main concern is the overall silhouette and palette optimization.