The VG Resource

Full Version: My WIP custom stuff (Just one sheet for now!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I decided to make a thread in this forum in order to get more suggestions and/or criticism before submitting some custom sprites of mine. I'm currently working on some Big Bertha and Porcupuffer (from SMB3 and SMW, both Mario games) custom sprites, although I haven't begun working on the Porcupuffer sprites yet...

[Image: chr002bu9.png]

It's supposed to be cartoonish, so don't complain about the huge eyes, please... also, as I said, I'm still going to make the Porcupuffer sprite in the same sheet, so the sheet is not going to be as small as it is right now. I would like some suggestions, comments and construtive criticism about the sprites. Feel free to comment. Smile
Not bad, but have I seen these at another forum?
Thanks! And... nope... I haven't showed these to anybody else, except to some guys in a random IRC channel... not from TSR.
hmm... his mouth looks kinda wierd, outline his lips when it opens. Also you have a slighty dirty shading (almost pillowshaded). Clean it up; fish are supposed to look shiny and smooth. Also you could use less colors.

About his eyes... yeah, cartoonish and all, but make it even. Her left eye isn't a perfect circle, and doesn't look right.
About the mouth... hmm... yeah... it looks a little bit weird... I'm going to outline his lips then.

About the shading, that's actually my style. My graphics usually have this kind of shading, and I got used of it. But I guess you're right about the fact that fish are supposed to look shiny... then, I'll tweak the sprites a bit. The colors... well... I know I shade my sprites quite a bit too much, but in fact, it's 16-bit. I didn't make it using MS Paint (I kinda suck in MS Paint), I made it using YY-CHR, and it still doesn't have all the 16 colors being used.

About the eyes... I'll edit them. Thanks for your criticism - hopefully it'll turn into something even better! Big Grin
about the YYCHR...

You always could sprite in MS Paint first so you can see it as a whole, then paste it into the YYCHR. Just make sure you're using the right palette Smile