The VG Resource

Full Version: doom and freedoom style monster workshop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey peopl, i thougt i would share previews of monstres im working on. the first five are for the game freedoom, the others are meant to be free sprite sheets for doom style games

here is a preview of some of them

[Image: samcarrierfrontwalk_zpsjrlkrlzw.gif]
[Image: latestpede_zps4qgrq31j.gif]

[Image: octaminator10_zpsjrf67dgu.gif]

[Image: minigunner30_zpsvvjisdek.gif]

[Image: reactor-reptile31_zpscwslj53e.png]

[Image: Untitleddd-1_zps7u8quzic.gif]

[Image: tyrant_zpsegbupvpd.gif]

[Image: hell-lord1_zpsvzjy16so.gif]

[Image: raycubus2_zpscqtpayuj.gif]

ill post the sheets once i finish them, meanwhile ill be posting my progress here
feedback is welcome Wink
Oh wow. You've definitely got that old-school FPS look going on. I've never been a fan of chrome shading but these are quite well done!

My main suggestion here would be to raise the number of frames a little bit or adopt a different animation style. The current style you have here is stand-left-stand-right but it's possible to achieve a smoother animation by drawing two walking frames and flipping them to make a 4-frame animation. It's kind of hard to explain, but Chrono Trigger did something similar by flipping a 3-frame animation to make a 6-frame animation. This flipping will only work for the front-facing and back-facing sprites, but since those are the most commonly seen sprites it might help to make them a little smoother.
thanks, dragon! i am using 4 frames, but ill admit my animations are stiff, ill look into the thing of the 3 flipped frames to see if that helps, i think doom 2 actually did something like that too
Wow, these look really goos. I wasn't sure if they were rips or not at first.
thanks Smile

here is a preview of another one, its for freedoom, its actually an updated version of a monster that is already on the game. it doesnt animate too well right now, but im slowly improving it i think

[Image: cacodemon190_zps5scu4ycy.png]

[Image: cacocaco_zpsygf1a18c.gif]
[Image: orabtack_zpsjyd4vyfh.gif]

another previes of this guy, i had to thin it down, but it now fits the game actor dimensions better

[Image: reptilewalkgif_zpshjejs9gv.gif]
updated orb monster, changes where made to address in game visivility and size. none of the frames are final since it still needs more ingame testing, ill put a wad file later in case you guys want to use it

[Image: updated_orb_monster_by_raymoohawk-d8qynmj.png]
Geeze Louise, those are some impressive sprites!
thanks!

here is the wad in case theres any doom players around here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/017ldu...onster.zip
concept for a posible female player, done from scratch

[Image: doom_style_female_player_by_raymoohawk-d8qhrdo.gif]

concept for a possible femela enemie, done from skratch except for face, wich was taken with permission from a sprite scalliano did

[Image: femsoldier1_zpsmhwvbz17.gif]

concept for a libre version of a frankensprite i did a while ago, body is from scratch, head was modified from a freedoom sprite

[Image: skull_key_monster_concept_by_raymoohawk-d8r20ac.png]

redesigning this guys:

[Image: pestmeester5239_zps29xrpkul.png] [Image: pestmeester5291045468_zpsafh5izbd.png]

[Image: serpentipeede267_by_raymoohawk-d8rkur1.png]

also made a stupid looking weapon

[Image: 561qq65_by_raymoohawk-d8r81pn.png]

more progress on the baronphant walk i tried dragons suggestion of using 3 mirrored frames

[Image: ganesha20_by_raymoohawk-d8rlesn.gif]
[Image: baronphant_by_raymoohawk-d8rleq6.gif]
updated rotation of the ocataminator, ill have to redo all the frames to adress some engine hiccup (turns out this monsters in particular needs a symmetrical design)

[Image: octaminator___copia859_by_raymoohawk-d8zbuv3.gif]
I am continuously impressed, here.
thanks Ton Smile

did another rotation

[Image: octaminator___copia2413_by_raymoohawk-d92pcdr.png]

also here is an unfinished preview of the walk animation, its looking crappy, anyone has suggestions on how to improve it? (its going to have 3 frames in game, mirroring them to make the 4-6 frames)

[Image: betawalkocti_by_raymoohawk-d92tcig.gif]
walk frames of the pesmester are done

[Image: pestmeester___fix_back_of_boots_on_back_...98aso0.png]

i'll do the attack next, i still need to mentally prepare for the death animation XD

in case your curious about how the death will be, you can see a preview animatic below (provided by arborix, author of http://doommonsters.tumblr.com/)

http://orig02.deviantart.net/0abb/f/2015...97txr8.gif
Darn... Creating all those frames in such perfect condition, it would be a utter nightmare to do the same on my current pixelart.
It really shows that you are a master of your trade. Kudos to you!
thanks Smile

although to be fair my work is not really pixel art in the strict definition. i pretty much paint my work as if it was a regular illustration, it saves a lot of time, but the trade off is that my sprites end up lacking the pixel perfect precision of pixel art
Pages: 1 2