The VG Resource

Full Version: SMRPG Shy Guy enhancement (spritesheet + molds)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I loved looking into Spriters Resource for years now, and at one point I tried making my own spritesheet to maybe display as a Custom spritesheet... but have no clue how to do so. Ouch!
Also a thing I'm wondering about is what colors can be used on a SNES/SMRPG cartridge, since I can't find that. ^^; Otherwise I'd like to make sure the colors are 100% accurate. =D But yeah, anyways, here's my spritesheet and the sprites did work in the SMRPG ROM (by using LazyShell program), hope it looks alright. ^^
(kind of a pain to insert all)

[Image: tumblr_nk5r9ipXxE1unagj3o1_500.png]
If you want the molds, you can download them here =D http://www.mediafire.com/download/yo3ofe..._molds.zip
(MediaFire is nice for storage, but bad for large GIFs >_>)
You'll most likely need to use them since the program can get a bit confused on certain molds since the slingshot originally had the same colors as parts of the Shy Guy. ^^

Oh, um, I guess I could talk about this spritesheet. ^^
  • I tried displaying the frames of animation on the top left
  • Shy Guys use 15 colors + 1 transparent, thus are safe to use for SMRPG ROM, but unsure about cartridge when it comes to colors...
  • provided the BPP Graphics file for Shy Guy to use in LazyShell editor (though if you're unsure what you're doing, use the molds instead)
  • pallets on the right including some for different Shy Guys (for replacing Shy Ranger, Sling Shy)
  • wanted to make Shy Guy better looking by smoothing out the shading pixels, coloring the shoes blue, and coloring the slingshot differently
  • made my own font in FontStruct for the text, you can download my font here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ow4jcl...s-font.zip (use 8px, 16px, 24px, ... font size and no sharp/crisp/strong/smooth... just keep it basic ^^Wink
Anyways, hope you guys like them =D And maybe can point on some things I should improve and maybe tell me whether I should upload this to Custom (somehow, never done it before) or not so. ^^
These are neat, but we generally don't accept recolored sprites. The idea is that it's something that anyone could do with a few extra minutes.
Ah, I see. ^^ Yeah, I'm not so sure what things are and aren't accepted. ^^; Well, they aren't really just recolors, technically, I mean, it's not like I just made a simple palette swap of the original sprites but instead touching upon every frame and replacing colors with others selectively, not automatically... though in a way it's just recoloring pixels, yes, like I haven't made the Shy Guy wider or thinner by adding or removing pixels, but in a way it's more intended as "correcting things" in my opinion. It took few hours, not just few minutes to me (then again, was my first try to fix some errors the game had in the sprites ^^; )
The again, I'm kind of a noob in these things, so I'll take your word for it. ^^

So hmm, what would be accepted or more fitting then? =O 
I'm sure ripping stuff would also not be fitting since it may be time consuming, but isn't actually made, right? What I understand under that term (may be wrong =P) is to take screenshots of frames of animation, removing background elements manually, placing frames together and guessing the timing, kind of like that Barrel animation I made with DK64 ROM and emulator (and Photoshop, and blah blah) [Image: tumblr_nk7pdrwzyv1unagj3o2_75sq.gif]

And custom stuff like this fake Pokémon (Virchu) I made from scratch (this time in a Halloween costume, aww ^^) [Image: virchuhalloween.gif] would also probably not be accepted since it's like an OC, and not from an existing game, only resembling a style (Pokemon Black/White style) but not actually being a Pokemon. (also animated and not in sprite form like it should be for a sprite site)

What about... stuff like this? [Image: tumblr_nk5v7gdQoL1unagj3o8_250.gif] this is Kolorado from Paper Mario 64 in Super Mario RPG style (and with SNES color amount). It's custom and resembles a character from an existing game, are such things also not right? I'm trying to figure out what the site accepts, that's all. ^^ (oh, and animated, Spriters Resource has sprites, so it should be a spritesheet and not a Gif ^^; )

PS: Waaaaait a minute... submitter name is Tonberry2K? Wait... don't I know you from somewhere? Surprise Actually, how should I not, you're uploading a ton, aren't you? =D
Ah, Kolorado is much more like the stuff we want to see around here! (Though the mustache could use some tweaking)
Your edits are great! I'm not quite sure what the Jigglypuff thing is supposed to be, though.

I hope to see your work improve and expand as you hang around here!
(And yeah, I used to upload a lot of stuff to a lot of sites. I mostly just update here now.)
(02-26-2015, 06:55 PM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, Kolorado is much more like the stuff we want to see around here! (Though the mustache could use some tweaking)
Your edits are great! I'm not quite sure what the Jigglypuff thing is supposed to be, though.

I hope to see your work improve and expand as you hang around here!
(And yeah, I used to upload a lot of stuff to a lot of sites. I mostly just update here now.)

Oh, that, haha, well... that thing was a custom Pokemon I made called Virchu [Image: virchudiglett.gif] (I made a ton of edits of that fat-hipped mouse-cat XDDD), it was gift for my closest friend who's OC has these colors and who's a big fan of Pikachu. ^^ But I think that's TOO custom and isn't any existing Pokemon, so it wouldn't be too fitting to upload, right? That's like uploading a sprite of your pet turtle for a Starfox game as a pilot, it would look interesting if you could pull of the N64 style, but be out of place still. =P Now a Yoshi piloting an Arwing, that would be cool =D

Oh, you think so? =D *feels humbled* And yeah, those may be a bit old... but I really don't want things to go to waste... but definitely improve my older work so it looks better, perhaps. ^^ Thanks for pointing that out. =D

Would um... also these work then? =O
[Image: tumblr_nk5v7gdQoL1unagj3o7_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nk5v7gdQoL1unagj3o4_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nk5v7gdQoL1unagj3o6_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nk5v7gdQoL1unagj3o5_250.gif]
Can you guess who they are? =D (all Paper Mario, 2 from N64, 2 from NGC)
So like if I make a custom sprite of a different character in such style would be good to have, correct? (like Paper Mario characters in SMRPG)

Hmm, if so... what about non-Nintendo related things in Nintendo-related things? Like... ALF in SMRPG (was in tv). ^^
[Image: tumblr_nkeu7aax291unagj3o1_250.gif]

OH! Um... what about texture edits for N64 games? Would that be okay too? =O I took a screenshot (Toad's Tool 64 is cool =D can't extract/import textures without fancy programs sadly Ouch! am too dumb)
This is a screenshot of a texture edit I did which um... looks... yeah. XDDD (Austin Power reference)
[Image: tumblr_nk5qjjmj621unagj3o1_1280.png]

Though would anything like that be good to share? Or would that fall more under the "too silly and honestly not fitting on our site" category? ^^; (also ignore the brown stairs, I was trying stuff out XP)
Technically it wasn't all that hard to do... I mean... just took a picture of Fat Ba***rd from Austin Powers, cut the face out, recolored it, placed it on a Thwomp, and done. ^^;

Also, thank you for your response! =D Hope you won't mind this longer reply. ^^;
Characters that don't exist in the realm of video games cannot be submitted, Like making a toad but with a green shirt and blue pants and naming it Omega, that's a big no.

When submitting edits it's agreed there should be effort put into them, even through some things on the site beg to differ most of them have a legacy behind'em anywho.

Non-video game customs are generally ok, there's an Avatar the airbender section in the custom/edited, and Sonic and Mario have gotten away with things from the tv shows and comics, you'll probably have to take it up with Dazz or Petie if they say it's ok through.
That Alf is really funny.

The Koopas all look great. Kooper, Koops, the Koopa Bros, and... Koops's dad?
Did you do full sheets for them all?
@Omega: Thank you guys for your replies! =D That did help me a lot in figuring out what to post and what not to post. ^^
At least, I hope so. ^^; *shakes fist towards my slow brain*

@ Ton: I forgot the name of the last one too. XDDD Um, sadly no... wasn't motivated to do so... deviantART depresses me a lot with their "non-caring attitude" >_>
Actually was kind of hoping to gain some motivation in here. I feel like what I do gets ignored or is pointless to sites like dA. =/
I love helping people, especially younger users (used to be a Nintendo clan admin for young teenagers, some of which looked up to me like a big brother ^^) but am unsure how...

Um, actually, I should probably not start getting all sad and stuff. ^^; Thank you two for helping me! =D
Actually, Alf had a game on the Sega Master System, so he is a viable character for spriting.