The VG Resource

Full Version: Mario and Luigi SS style sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, this is my first post showing off my work, so I'm kinda' nervous, but anyways...
[Image: Parakarry.png]
This is Parakarry from Paper Mario in Mario and Luigi SS style, and yes, I DID use Parakoopa's Paratroopa sprites as the base. I doubt this is anywhere near complete, but I think it's going good so far. I have other sprites, too, but I'll save those for later. Anyways, tell me what you think.
Wings don't look in style, look more paper Mario-y.
(10-19-2008, 12:27 PM)Rakia Wrote: [ -> ]Wings don't look in style, look more paper Mario-y.

Once again, Parakoopa's base. I didn't make the wings. I could try to make 'em look more in style, I guess, but I think they look fine as-is.
The wings were from the game.
I laughed.

Anway onto the sprite. This is good for your first time and don't be nervous. Youre going to have to show your work alot if you want to go further with your talents. The main problem that bothers me is how his mailbag is pillowshaded. Never pillowshade. This lightsource is coming from the up-left corner of the sprite so try to make the mailbag shaded around that. Might need to use a lighter brown pallete. AA the area of skin around the goggles to smoothen it out.
Well, this actually isn't my first shot at spriting, believe me. I started with absolutely terrible recolors before I actually knew what spriting was, but I've come quite a ways since then. Really, I was only nervous about being criticized, not worried about that now, though. But anyways, thanks for the advice. I could work on fixing the pillow shading later, and might I ask what AA means? I'm not exactly familiar with the term.
I like them. But the thing bothering me other than the mailbag is the sprite...the one on the far right, second to bottom row. Just looks, different.
These look real/from a game o.o
"I like them. But the thing bothering me other than the mailbag is the sprite...the one on the far right, second to bottom row. Just looks, different. "
True, something is weird about it o.o

Anywho, Great sprites.
Don't be discouraged, Phoenix. Criticism will help you improve your sprite-work, and don't stop on this project!
AA means Anti-Alias; it means making a sprite look smoother aroudn the edges rather than rugged. I'm not so great at explaining things, so maybe somebody else can offer a better explaination.
Quote:the one on the far right, second to bottom row. Just looks, different.

That would be because I made that one from scratch using the pieces from Parakoopa's sheet. It's supposed to be his "Injured and incapable of attack" pose from Paper Mario. I'll admit it does look a little...off, but I was doing it by memory. I could fix it up if you can tell me what's wrong with it. And thanks for telling me what AA means, Angelglory.
Could also be used as a "knocked-out" pose if you're using him as an ally. *hint hint*
That's a good point, Miles. It could be used for that purpose, I could actually see that being used like that in the game. Who knows, maybe if I work on this stuff enough Alvin would consider using them in Super Mario Bros. Z. I doubt it, but a guy can dream. By the way, LOVE what you've done there. *Pokes Minish Cap-styled items sprite sheet.*
Hehe... Well, comment here on that sheet.

Let's stay on-topic with your sprites. Make sure you add a credit tag ASAP.