The VG Resource

Full Version: Beginner here, help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'd like to begin creating sprites, so where should I start? Help is appreciated! Cute
Well, if you wanna start spriting, it might be best to start off with sometjing you know. Make a custom sprite of you favorite game character for practice. At least that's how I got started.
It also wouldn't hurt to edit already existing sprites for practice. Just don't expect anything big from simple recolors, though.
You could actually try drawing sprite-sized in MS paint and then improve from there.
(01-28-2015, 07:35 AM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]It also wouldn't hurt to edit already existing sprites for practice. Just don't expect anything big from simple recolors, though.

Do not do this.

Yes, you can learn how to draw pixel art by editing sprites, but the fact of the matter is that you'll learn 10x faster if you draw your own art. Sure, your early art will look terrible compared to edits,  but you'll quickly outpace the artists who learn by editing sprites. I never edited any sprites while learning pixel art, and years later I don't regret that decision.

With that being said, I got my start in pixel art by reading Derek Yu's Pixel Art Tutorial. And after I drew a few pictures, I took a look at the PixelJoint Pixel Art Tutorial to learn more of the advanced techniques. When I started out I used MS Paint but recently I've been using ASEprite so I can work with indexed palettes, transparency, animation and layers. Older versions of ASEprite are free.
You could start something that's 100% from scratch, this way you'll learn faster, see Dragon's post.