The VG Resource

Full Version: Smash Sprites!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello, everyone! It's Smash again! NOW I'm gonna post a whole bunch of awesome, awesome, AWESOME sprites!!! I hope everyone enjoys them, feel free to critique. I will be up and down on my desktop, posting new sprites 4 days a week starting January 22nd, 1:00 PM ET.

Oh and one more thing. My Imgur is Super (Smash) Spriter.
It's actually discouraged to make a sprite thread without any sprites to showcase. Ouch!
Shade, I can assure you that I'm cranking out my last few sprites.

[Image: HN0UrKf.png]
Behold! 2x resolution Mario from Superstar Saga!

And we'll follow that UP...
[Image: aF5h51v.png]
...With some of my Dark Cackletta sprites!
so

where are the amazing sprites

As mean as I might have sounded, there is nothing really amazing in your work. It's just edits of M&L sprites (do people still do M&L edits wtf). And they aren't great edits at all. The 2X res Mario doesn't really add anything to the sprite. When you upscale a sprite you're supposed to use the extra space to add more details that weren't possible to add in the original art.

And Dark Cackletta is just a recolor with a jewel thingy on the forehead taht isn't even shaded nor in style. The resizing for the teleporting is really underwhelming and lazy too.
A simple "Hey I have a suggestion" would be nice... jeez...
Besides I'm kinda NEW to spriting! You don't give a new spriter attitude like that! You give him/her ADVICE!
he just straight up told you everything that can be fixed and improved in your sprites. can't get much better advice than that.
Wowee, it's been time I dealt with someone like this, it makes me remember the early 00's. Am I getting old??

I can't even start to give more advice than I did. It's just a recolor and edit. The only thing that could be of any pixelart use would be the Mario upscale but you just smoothed it over instead of giving him detail. I suggest spending time on it than doing recolors and minor edits, but eh your choice.

Now if you came here to expect for buttpats let me be straightforward: you will not get any. We're all here to learn and I won't be sugarcoating stuff so you'll read only the things you want to read. Either try harder and learn, or don't. Whichever is better for you.
Apparently I have to get more specific: What do you think I SHOULD make the teleporting look like, not what I SHAN'T. If you dont have anything nice to say then DON'T SAY IT.

I was wrong. Some of you guys can be even MORE mean than back at SmashWiki. I'm out.
(01-22-2015, 07:11 PM)Super Smash Spriter Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently I have to get more specific: What do you think I SHOULD make the teleporting look like, not what I SHAN'T. If you dont have anything nice to say then DON'T SAY IT.

I was wrong. Some of you guys can be even MORE mean than back at SmashWiki. I'm out.

Honestly, he doesn't mean with malice in his post, he was trying to give some constructive advice even if he didn't sound nice straight out. Shy
...Sorry to butt in, but did I just spot a ragequit? Blank

Look, EVERYONE here who does sprites has to do at least some form of work to become better. Just because your biased on your sprites doesn't mean people are going to love them as much as you do. If you want to get better at spriting, expect to get panned, or critiqued, or "Hey some pixels over here are off". 

And one more thing to add to this table : you've been here only 2 DAYS. This community has a lot to offer and plenty of nice members, so I don't think you should judge this entire place by this thread.
(01-22-2015, 07:11 PM)Super Smash Spriter Wrote: [ -> ]I was wrong. Some of you guys can be even MORE mean than back at SmashWiki. I'm out.

Hey, dude, there's hardly a mean member on this site. Sure, we might come off as rough sometimes, but we try our best to help others and respect even the new guys.

Now, I know that several other fan communities tend to have very ignorant and self-righteousness members, but I think a part of that might have something to do with the way you act. Some people become malicious towards others who do nothing but whine, are unbelievably stupid, and/or ride a high horse regardless if they earned the right to or not. While we try not to stoop to that level, it's hard to keep above it if you persistently act in an irritating way. I don't know if that's what happened to you on the SmashWiki, but it has a chance of happening here if you're not careful.

The point is that we all start out somewhere and we tend to have bad days/pieces of work that are not all that appealing. I used to act no differently than you are doing now because I thought I was never going to get anywhere and I was struggling to get respect. Just give yourself time, don't give up on what you're passionate about, and everything will turn out okay in the end.
(01-22-2015, 07:11 PM)Super Smash Spriter Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently I have to get more specific: What do you think I SHOULD make the teleporting look like, not what I SHAN'T. If you dont have anything nice to say then DON'T SAY IT.

Uh

I guess it's safe to say you won't be posting sprites four days a week, every week.
Since when did constructive criticism become an insult? If someone sucks at something, how on earth do they expect to learn and improve unless they're told they suck and why? All I see up there is a slightly smoothed resize of Mario with no details added and a recolor. They told you what went wrong with your sprites and instead of getting emotional, you could have just IMPROVED. This guy thinks he got it rough, what are some of the other members of the site gonna say? The ones who became one of the best spriters here are the ones who got shit thrown at them. People who join to get crit on their sprites really need to be more open minded and actually expect to get slapped in the face for doing lazy work. That slap serving to teach them not out of hatred. I'm not just posting this for Smash, but to all the newbies out there who read what's on this page and find what people said offensive. People do something, if the suck they get told they suck and why, then that person improves. That's consructive criticism in a nutshell. If you want to improve, you'll deal with it. If not, then you wont improve at all.
For the record I now understand that what you said to me was not "rude". I would also like to state that I took your advice and remade the M&L 2x Res Mario. It's now 3x res and I added more detail. What do you think? [Image: yAGCEvU.png]
Is it improved?
while you 'understood' the basics of upscaling, you didn't do a good job yet because you don't know how to shade. You've successfully pillowshaded the entire piece and this is a terrible thing to do as a pixelartist (and any artist in general).

I'll whip up an edit soon
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5