The VG Resource

Full Version: FISH!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there, I am new to this forum and I have been fiddling around with pixel art during the past couple of days and decided to start out small with some fish/creatures to find to right sort of fit for me. Here are three sprites I did while attempting to get a similar look to another fish. I will admit that they are pretty bad but I would appreciate some feedback as well as some pointers to guides to make them better, and if anyone wants to give them a small touch up to teach me a thing or two I also wouldn't mind. I only attempted to shade the first fish since I feel as if they were coming out a bit "wrong". I want the light source to strike from the top. The green fish seems to have a bigger pixel size which in my opinion makes it look more blocky but whenever I try to set a larger pixel on grafx2 the pixels do not align into a perfect row or column, they intersect and create 1 pixel gaps.

[Image: UQcAzp2.png?1]

The kind of look I want to go for

[Image: 8-bit-fish-bass-by-al-lau-sm.jpg]
I have a question for you. Why exactly are the images so blurry? Is that how you exported them from your image editor by any chance?

Anyway, a big problem I see with this is the shading. It would help if you gain a better understanding on how light works and try to visualize these a three-dimentional objects. As they are now, they look like nothing more than beveled shapes, which isn't that impressive.
They are actually saved as .png format but I had to upload them through imgur since the upload function asked me for a link (sorry if that is not the way to do it.) Anyways, do you know how I could fix the pixel size problem? I want my sprites to look as blocky or have the same pixel size as the green fish but the brush does not lock onto other a row or column, whenever you draw the brush can leave tiny spaces and doesnt make the image look blocky.
Imgur shouldn't have resized them unless you told it to. Make sure you're using the option for original size before you copy the link, otherwise you'll get one of the thumbnails that goes with it instead.
Like Midi said, Imgur doesn't really resize images. There's an option when copying the image link to get it in BBcode, try that.

(12-28-2014, 10:45 AM)alanz2223 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyways, do you know how I could fix the pixel size problem? I want my sprites to look as blocky or have the same pixel size as the green fish but the brush does not lock onto other a row or column, whenever you draw the brush can leave tiny spaces and doesnt make the image look blocky.

You don't really want to draw with bigger brushes. The green fish was most likely sprited with a 1px brush, then scaled up after it was finished.
(09-08-2015, 07:23 AM)ruukmahe Wrote: [ -> ] I agree...$100 is very improbable unless you are interested in an inflatable boat! Decent 2 men inflatables (paddle or some even include mounts for motors if you eventually want) run between $50 and $120 on Amazon. If they are well taken care of they should last for years! 

[ENORMOUS FISHING AD]

Alanz2223, did you just perform a spambot-summoning ritual by posting fish-related content? O.e

And yes, you will want to post some nice, sharp art here if you want any critiques. Pixel art is all about the fine pixel-level details, which are kind of ruined when you blur your sprites like that.
Spambom banned, old thread locked.