The VG Resource

Full Version: SASOD - A classic shoot 'em up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!
I recently released a shmup I've been working on for quite a while. It's called SASOD.
It's a rather classic shoot 'em up where you fly around and shoot stuff and collect powerups and so on.

[Image: SASOD1.png] [Image: SASOD3.png] [Image: SASOD4.png] [Image: SASOD5.png]

Download SASOD
Watch trailer

Please give it a try!
That looks pretty good. Is there any special reason to play this over any other shmup, is there a unique mechanic or something? If not that's fine, I mean it looks very solid and playable regardless, I might give it a shot later today. Also is SASOD an acronym for anything or is it just stylised to be in caps?

One tiny thing I noticed from the trailer is that it wasn't extremely clear that powerups were powerups, I mean they looked a bit like large projectiles. It might just look like that in the trailer though, maybe it's more obvious and intuitive in-game.

Mind if I ask what you used to make it?
I don't think this game has any unique fundamental mechanics to it. Gameplay wise, it's just another shoot 'em up I guess... And SASOD is the name of the final boss, and yes it's an acronym.

The trailer appears a little choppy if you watch it in 30 fps, and it shows clips without context. But while playing the game, it's easy to distinguish between projectiles and powerups because of the way they move and bounce on the edges of the screen. Maybe that's not apparent in the trailer.

I made the game using C# and SDL.NET.
(12-27-2014, 08:24 PM)Labbed Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!
I recently released a shmup I've been working on for quite a while. It's called SASOD.
It's a rather classic shoot 'em up where you fly around and shoot stuff and collect powerups and so on.

[Image: SASOD1.png] [Image: SASOD3.png] [Image: SASOD4.png] [Image: SASOD5.png]

Download SASOD
Watch trailer

Please give it a try!
Sounds great! I'll be happy to check for bugs!
Is that the space colony Ceres from Super Metroid?
I was probably "inspired" by the design of it somehow sub-consciously, but I really didn't mean to make it similar to anything.
Ceres has eight of those uhh things wrapping around it. My ship has six. So there is a difference! My ship is also not as rounded as Ceres.
Ah, I gotcha. Have you played Tyrian? IMO, it's the best top-down shooter of all. You could really learn a lot from it.
I played Tyrian 2000 a little bit a long time ago. I liked it! Maybe I should play it some more.