The VG Resource

Full Version: How make games in c++?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Games 2D and 3D in c++
Honestly, we're not exactly a teaching site as far as I know. If you want to program this way, you could either ask one of the programmers somewhere on this site or (better yet) look up a tutorial or two using the search engine of your choice.

Now, if you know a good deal about coding already, what I would suggest is to tell us what you know and maybe someone will reply to add their two cents on what you could do to improve yourself.
https://www.google.com/webhp?tab=ww&ei=N...%20c%2b%2b

Google is your friend. Programing isn't something you can just "teach" with a post.
It's one of those things that's really hard to teach, you kinda have to learn it and experiment for yourself, the way I did with RGSS / RPG Maker VX.
I know that this has been said over and over to people to who want create a game of any type, but honestly, I'd recommend starting out small, such as creating a small text game, it'll allow you to learn the C++ basics, while finding out what you want do in your game. Cute Then you can learn more from examples found on the internet, rather than going in blindly.

I'd recommend looking here after learning a bit about C++. It goes really in-depth to what everything does and what you should do next while developing your game. Smile

I wish the best to you! Cute
Like everyone's been saying, we can't just write up a tutorial for you. There are countless resources on the internet, you'll have to put some effort into learning the language and making it yourself. Like ThatStruggleThough suggested, starting small is inevitable, if you don't start off making small programs you're guaranteed not to get anywhere. Even for experienced programmers, games are a big endeavour and much more complex than it might seem.

I'm also not sure if C++ would be the right choice, especially if you've never coded before. I started learning it years ago, and after going through a huge, university-level book, the result was a command-line program that converted numeric grades to letters. C++ is an extremely low-level programming language, meaning that you will have a lot of stuff to deal with. Libraries like SDL obviously make this much easier, but even then you'll need to take a lot of time to learn and build experience. Personally, I switched to ActionScript 2.0 (and then 3.0), the Flash Player language, as that allowed me to create what I wanted much quicker and easier. Even now, years after, I'm making a game with a team and it's a challenge (granted, it's not a very simple game, but still).

I'm not saying C++ shouldn't be used for making games, or even as a first language to learn. It's great, it's the base of many things including games (pretty sure most major operating systems were written with it) and certainly useful. I still intend to learn it someday for working with bytes and memory at a low level. However, choosing a programming language to learn isn't asking "which have I heard the most about", but rather "which is the best tool for the job, and for me?" Last year I started using Haxe instead of ActionScript 3.0, because it was a good choice for me. It has a very similar syntax and there's a framework for it with the Flash API, so it was really easy for me to migrate. It can also compile to various targets in addition to Flash Player, which was useful for my projects.

What I'm basically trying to say is, don't jump in the deep end or you'll drown. This requires a lot of thought and consideration. You can't just feel like making a game and ask "how do I make a game in C++?" You need a lot of time, patience, and determination before you can begin creating anything resembling a game.

Wow, I didn't expect to write all that, sorry if it's a bit much Shy