The VG Resource

Full Version: I'm leaving this site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not going to stay here, cause I made a sucky intro, and now I dread that everyone will think I'm a man-child, so you know what? I'm leaving. Sorry to waste my time here.
Just because you had a rough start doesn't mean you have to leave. If anything, publicly announcing that you're leaving will make you seem even more immature. It was one thread and you could have turned it around by posting more positive, insightful things in other threads.

I want to help you, dude, but you seem to worry too much about what other people think of you. Even I do this myself and hardly anything good comes out of it, so why do you think you'll do any better?
Man, just chill. Pretty much every single person who joins is nervous or worried about their intro, but then they're fine afterwards. Nobody expects you to be 100% awesome or helpful from the get-go. This is a friendly community and as long as you're friendly then it's all good.

Just relax and try have fun Smile
Yikes. When you said this guy was a overly sensitive, E-Man, you weren't kidding.

Honestly dude. You didn't even have a rough start. No one posted in your topic. No one made a great response to your topic within 24 hours. "Oh no! I'm shit!" No dude like seriously calm down.
...Actually, to be 100% honest, you kinda put yourself down a bit in both your intro topics. When you're introducing yourself to others, you come off as nicer and more agreeable when you share the positive things about yourself. "Hi I'm DNFnuma! Just call me Numa! I like to draw things with big noses! :0)" etc.

VGR isn't really a fast-paced forum - especially compared to a site with a giant, fairly-seamless community like deviantArt. If no one responds to your threads, it's not a personal comment on you. You're new and haven't built up a rapport yet. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

Post, reply to others' topics, do what you can to get comfortable. We're not mean-spirited in the least, and if you're looking to get better at what you do, we'll be glad to help point you in the right direction. Nerd
After this guy PMd me in rage at my response to his thread, I'm going to say now that i think it is for the best he not get involved here. I mean that as no insult to either side, but I don't believe he is ready for any criticism. Within a day he has used a disability as an excuse for his personality. People like him have a bad time on this forum, where we are all open to giving and receiving critique on everything we do.
(11-01-2014, 03:00 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]I mean that as no insult to either side, but I don't believe he is ready for any criticism. Within a day he has used a disability as an excuse for his personality. People like him have a bad time on this forum, where we are all open to giving and receiving  critique on everything we do.

I...
I

I don't mean to come off as ableist or anything, but if it's OK to soapbox for two seconds:

This is never OK. We're pretty accepting people, and I've met some pretty cool people here and on the internet with disabilities. But please, don't do stupid things on the Internet, especially on social media or a messageboard, and then attempt to use your disability as a get-out-of-jail-free card. That's not how it works.

I get it. Having a disability is like playing life on hard mode. And it's tough when your peers have difficulty relating. But if you constantly use a disability as a shield for criticism when things get rough, it makes it only that much tougher for your peers to relate. :/

I could post several reasons on why I'm not the best poster on the Internet. But if I were to post them constantly before going into any form of discussion, it really uh, nerfs the following argument or discussion, if that makes any sense.
I don't know what you guys will think of this idea, but I would like to guide Numa to help establish himself here. Sure, Numa overreacts, but provided that he's calm and has confidence, he's actually not so bad. Since I can speak to him over Skype, I'll be able to ask him to show me what he is going to post before he brings it up here. Until he is able to become comfortable here and post without anymore problems, this is what my plan is.

Look, I understand that I am going through a lot of trouble for one user who hasn't even shown his worth yet, but I have two big reasons why I'm willing to jump through these hoops. The first reason is that Numa is more or less my friend, so getting him situated here is the least I could do. As for the other reason, Numa is a lot like me (especially in the past). I never thought that I would actually do as well on this web site as I hoped, so I felt practically the same way Numa did. I believe that if he understands that nobody is out there to get him on this web site and he'll establish himself as a more productive user, then we'll end up with a good addition to the VG Resource.
E-man, you can try if you want, but keep in mind that this community isn't for everyone.

In fact if you're getting off of deviantart, this is probably not the best first place to go to. On DA they tend to praise your work no matter how bad it is, meanwhile here we tend to tell you whats wrong with your work no matter how good it is.

The communities are on opposite ends of the spectrum, DA is an Enabler of sorts, it's like tumblr light, and that isn't a good thing. Here, while yes we care about eachother, we don't put up with eachother's bullshit either.

He might be your friend but it seems as if he has a lot of maturing to do before this community would ever be a good place for him.
Yo Fuma, I don't know if you're gonna see this or not, but you're still welcome to stay. I ain't the person to refer to when it comes it etiquette or the like, but I understand where you're coming from to a degree. See, personally, I'm an autistic insomniac with attention issues. I don't go waving it around like that guy in Kat's avatar does a hammer, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think get ya. Sure, you think you're having it rough, and maybe you are, but that could just be because you have to read this mess of a paragraph for all I know. Just realize that we all gotta tread carefully on some things, and if this isn't for you then fine, but its all up to you.