The VG Resource

Full Version: GOOP TROOF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is actually a sprite rip from an old arcade game from the 80's, it's not a custom sprite thread.

Goop Troof is a 2P arcade game where rivals compete who gets the most points in a set time limit. It stars Gilbert Bullethead and CBL as the players, who need to stun and eat fruits while trying to get on the rival's way. It's a pretty fun game.

[Image: 96f343320182667aa8625a30fbcb7d59.png]
I read as "Goof Troop" and came expecting childhood nostalgia. A little disappointing.
Most of the poses look like they were made really quickly.
Gilbert and Crappy look as though they stepped out of a Saturday morning cartoon from the 80's. XD

Anyway, it looks good so far. I don't really have any critiques. Except for maybe the peach as it looks jagged on the left side.
I CANNOT BELIEVE

(10-27-2014, 11:47 PM)FarmerM Wrote: [ -> ]I read as "Goof Troop" and came expecting childhood nostalgia. A little disappointing.
Most of the poses look like they were made really quickly.

I read it as Goof Troop as well :p

Anyways I like the sprites, expecially the fruits. Very good ideas ^^, I like the pow boxes.
Oh, man! I remember this game! We have a Goop Troof machine right next to the Pac-Man at our local laundromat! It was always a little sticky but man, I used to play the heck outta that thing.

I never liked the graphics that much, but they had that nice arcade-y feel to them that let them fit in with the likes of Pac Man.
For those disappointed because it's not Goof Troop, I wonder why Disney didn't get a lawsuit from Crepware for naming their show similarly to the game.

Anyway, since no one seems to remember this game, the least I can do is to explain its gameplay...

This game is an obligatory 2P game, that is, there is no 1P mode. Back then in the 80's, when arcade cabinets were ubiquitous, people actually had irl friends to play games with and didn't have online multiplayer to rely on.

[Image: rBM4PpPvYGLeFkMN]

The game takes place in this single room, with girders and pipes. The objective of the game is to gather more points than your rival before the time runs out. Crepware cabinets let owners change the time limit by changing the DIP Switches, but the default time is 5 minutes of mayhem.

[Image: zNomdR286ZhmWxpu]

Soon after pressing start, the characters appear. Player 1 will always be Gilbert Bullethead, and Player 2 will always be Crappy. It's weird that their own mascot is actually the second character, but seeing that Crappy was just an easter egg character before, it's not too hard to imagine why.

Despite their really different designs, their hitbox is the same and they have no difference in gameplay.

[Image: Dp8WYvQoYCE2IULj]

Pressing left or right will make them walk. There's no acceleration or running: they all walk at the same speed. However, pressing the opposite side when walking will make them skid for a little. They can't walk past each other either.

[Image: PXZvRlx27atq0EWA]

The players will loop if leaving the room from the sides. This is useful for fleeing from something, or as a shortcut.

[Image: 6LyHpEQrhOUKBSwp]

Pressing the jump button will make them jump, obviously. However the jump is fixed and once in the air, Gilbert or Crappy cannot change the direction mid-air. If the player bumps his head on the ceiling, it'll make it bend for a short time before going back to normal.

[Image: QPyDkK7LPSsmIYu7]

Bumping the ceiling is great to flip fruits and stop them, and also to stun your rival.

[Image: WiVXemhR126BkJJ4]

If you keep UP pressed on the joystick, the player will be able to climb the girder or block from below, perfect for ambushes and quick escapes. The YUM block is not activated if UP is pressed. Note that you cannot fall down through the platform though, needing to pass through the gaps to reach lower floors.

[Image: djK8fkFgO0coDWGZ]

However, if you are stomped, you will be sent down one floor (if there's a platform). You will also be stunned for a short while...

[Image: jCx6F0MtKmaHeuUQ]
[Image: A2bty0vY4xTOqhmB]

In this game, evil fruits will fall from the upper pipes. They will just fall down a preset path, walking in a loop until they hit something or are killed. Evil fruits will change directions when bumping with something...

[Image: VCBeygMzPzRHWKik]

Touching a moving fruit is dangerous. You won't want that, as touching them is an instantaneous kill and takes away 5000 points from your total score. Don't worry though: you'll respawn promptly, apprearing from the top of screen, to try retrieving your lost score and aim for a revenge.

Touching a flipped fruit, however, will grant the player points. Kill many of them to increase your score!

[Image: VlPOnQr1P9ryvZRv]

In addition to flipping fruits from below, hitting the YUM block with your head will make an exploding sound, flipping anything that is grounded in a single strike. Grounded rivals will also hop and be stunned for a while too! Airborne fruits or rivals will be unaffected, though.

A YUM block can be used three times before it vanishes. After 1 minute of being used, another YUM block will respawn in the same place.

[Image: USDNnqTlOZKBie44]

Flipped fruits, if not eaten soon, will change colors and get faster. They become harder to eat, but they are also worth more points than their normal counterpart. Also, talking about points...

[Image: wtmEVwpXUkvSHYbI]

If you happen to eat many fruits in a succession, a multiplier will appear. Capping at x5, the multiplier will multiply the score of the fruit you ate. Amazing!

[Image: iDqczoSUNeetwVtY]

To spice things up, pressing the second button will make Gilbert or Crappy deploy a hookshot. This hookshot is quick and will extend as long as you keep the button pressed. It will retract when you release the button early, or it reaches the screen boundary.

While shooting the hook, the player will stay still until the hook returns to the player. Pressing up will aim the hook diagonally upwards, and if it connects with a girder ceiling, you will be automatically pulled and jump over a large gap.

[Image: vAQMmaqzf6LuC42R]

You can use the hookshot to push your rival away, stunning him in the process. Perfect if you want to push him into an enemy fruit! After colliding with the rival character, the hook will automatically return to the sender.

[Image: jYGKPMY3ObKjlOva]

Shooting the hook onto a fruit is also possible. if you do so, the fruit will stop in place no matter if it's active or not. The hook will hold onto the fruit as long as you keep the button pressed.

[Image: enNLYsuWjeOWZR7q]

Releasing the button will bring the fruit to you. Stunned fruits will be eaten, but reeling in an active fruit is dangerous! If you accidentally catch a dangerous fruit, press DOWN to detach the hook.

[Image: PVj0nPAqfpPYMStN]

The hookshot chain is not solid, and anything can walk past it. Thus, if your rival gets between you and an active fruit, try reeling the fruit to you!

[Image: 3wx4CuD3xdlrIpT0]

The reeled fruit will kill your rival, making you one step closer to victory!

[Image: dJNqBcVEvbI8b4Ej]

Sometimes, a MOE block will appear instead. Hitting it from above will stun your rival as usual, but will turn grounded fruits into precious hearts! These are worth 3200 each, and if you collect them quickly, you may get x5 multipliers!

[Image: i48dMuUEYUqGkkiC]

The MOE block can be hit two times before it becomes a KYUN block. When hit, the KYUN block will turn all grounded fruits into hearts and stun grounded rivals, and additionally, will spawn an Akiyama Mio ® NPC.

[Image: IA8K6mLSIhMdkV26]

This NPC will shoot homing hearts to whoever hit the KYUN block, giving the lucky player a lot of points! If your rival summoned her, act quick! Defeat her by stomping on her or shooting your hookshot at her.

[Image: XVNgIPDlRfPCq67L]

Show them who's the boss!
(10-28-2014, 10:55 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ][Image: i48dMuUEYUqGkkiC]

The MOE block can be hit two times before it becomes a KYUN block. When hit, the KYUN block will turn all grounded fruits into hearts and stun grounded rivals, and adittionally, will spawn an Akiyama Mio ® NPC.

[Image: IA8K6mLSIhMdkV26]

oh my GOD
Please, please, PLEASE make this a real game!
It seems closely like Mario Bros. and at the same time not. I like it so far.
[Image: 1caf8c98e225c121192aa6fc5f5c693c.png]

Here are the fruits' value, both normal and faster versions. In addition, the fruits have different behaviours that make eating safely difficult.

Apple: the simplest fruit, will simply walk forward, turning to the other side when bumping with something.
Banana: bananas will change directions every time it falls on the ground.
Melon: will bounce once every time it falls while maintaining direction.
Pineapple: Has a quick recovery time compared to the rest of the fruits, but moves like Apples.
Peach: hops around the level and can only be flipped when it's touching a platform.
Orange: Must be hit twice to be eaten.
These aren't the official Goop Troof sprites, they have been edited. 
I must have been the only one to think of Goof Troop when I saw the title of this.

Still, these are nice!