The VG Resource

Full Version: BMShowcase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Welcome to BMShowcase! Here I'll post sprites and edits made by me. Although this will become more active after SMMT is finished.

Somethings:
Edited Logo Fonts:
What boredom can do:
Ohh, very interesting! The logo fonts look great and it's impressive how you managed to capture the style in the numbers. It'd be awesome if ROM hackers actually bothered using stuff like this instead of drawing their own "logos" in MS Paint. :U
I love those fonts! Hope you do more. ^^

As for the mushroom, I think it just needs some bolder shading to help the shape of it stand out. It looks rather flat as it is.
DragonDePlatino Wrote:Ohh, very interesting! The logo fonts look great and it's impressive how you managed to capture the style in the numbers. It'd be awesome if ROM hackers actually bothered using stuff like this instead of drawing their own "logos" in MS Paint. :U
That would be soo great.

Midi Wrote:I love those fonts! Hope you do more. ^^

As for the mushroom, I think it just needs some bolder shading to help the shape of it stand out. It looks rather flat as it is.
Can this do it?
[Image: Cogumelo.png]
That looks a little better, but there's still lots of room to improve.
What I'm also noticing is a lack of contrast and hue-shift, banding, and unnatural shading. If you are unfamilar with these terms, please have have a look at our spriting dictionary.

First off, let's talk about contrast.

[Image: Cogumelo.png]

Upon closer inspection, I can see that you didn't use all of colors you have there, which is good. So let's remove them from the palette so that we don't get confused.

Let's also change the background color to something more neutral (and not used in the sprite's palette), so that the bright white doesn't mess with our visual perception of the sprite.

[Image: p7GCsjM.png]

Much better! However, there are some colors that still don't need to be there. Why? Because when used properly, fewer shades can convey the same depth as more colors -- and in a cleaner, easier to manage way. Take these spots for example:

[Image: 5MLwJvU.gif]

[Image: Q0lpwlV.gif]

The colors there might look good there when you're working on it and looking at it up close, but when you zoom out, they don't do anything for the sprite. They only end up adding extra unneeded fluff to the palette. Some other colors could do to be more noticeable, as well.

[Image: Cogumelo.png] [Image: uTfqNNO.png]

It looks a bit better, but the colors still aren't very appealing. This is where hue-shifting comes in. Shadows cast by and onto objects in real life aren't just darker shades of the base color. They are tints of blue, brown, red... they can be nearly any color, really. It all depends on the colors of the light that falls onto them as well as the light reflected off of surrounding objects.

See how it's not just one flat array of reds? It's got shades of pink and even a hint of orange on the front and tip. When you use hue-shifting, you're conveying a more natural and dynamic feeling to the piece. For example, what colors would the shading on this mushroom have? Since it's red like the strawberry, we can take some inspiration from that:

[Image: Cogumelo.png] [Image: kyqls56.png]

That's better. However, the shading still isn't very effective. This is where banding and shading comes in.

Banding is when multiple layers of shading follow the outline of an area, instead of showing the volume of the object. When this happens, it makes the outlines look blurred and it can even make jagged outlines stand out more (and thus, more distracting/jarring to the eyes). Take for example the white spots (outlined in blue) and the face (outlined in pink):

[Image: ERgPXKz.png]

Now, with all of that fixed, we have the end result!

[Image: Cogumelo.png] [Image: RVEoAoG.png]

In my edit, I fixed everything mentioned plus a few personal touches I made that I felt made the mushroom look better. Keep in mind that I'm no professional, but I hope this helps and I apologize for my post being so big and clunky. Ouch!
(09-09-2014, 02:38 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]That looks a little better, but there's still lots of room to improve.

Okay, I don't mean to call you out specifically, but since this is more or less the most recent time it's happened I'm going to use it as an example.

Can we please not make posts like this? "It's good but could be better" says pretty much nothing at all. What could be better? What about it is good? How is there room to improve?
Be specifc. (In other words, what Jetters did above.) There's pretty much no point in even posting if you're not actually going to say anything of substance.

This goes for everyone, not just Mystie.
[rap]
Look who are at Logo Fonts too
SMB1, SMB2
Don't get lost and check the first post!
[/rap]