The VG Resource

Full Version: Some new sprites I'm working on...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, working on a Test Mobile Game (using Game Maker and another online program), so I decided to make some simple test sprites using the Pixation app on iOS. This is my first time attempting to make sprites, so I based them off two classic 8-bit NES titles:

Ninja 1 (Legend of Zelda):

http://i.imgur.com/A5ZqsUd.gif

Ninja 2 (Mega Man):

http://i.imgur.com/9FVrXHj.gif

Any feedback will be appriecated, Wink!
The first one is definitely better, but needs work on its walking cycle. The body should bob up and down, and the arms should move. You can actually achieve the bobbing on a north/south view by simply shifting the sprite up and down when it's in its stepping frames. Also, remember to make the arms swing opposite to the legs, or else he'll look like he's waddling.

Quick note on ninjas: they don't wear armor. Armor would slow them down and make noise, and ninjas are meant to be fast and silent. Also, long swords wouldn't really be used by ninjas either; they prefer small, easily-concealed weapons, and only use them as a last resort. A better outfit would be something made of dark, cold-colored cloth, but not black, since black stands out in the moonlight. Green through violet are the preferred hues worn by ninjas, since they blend well at night.
(09-02-2014, 09:54 AM)Midi Wrote: [ -> ]The first one is definitely better, but needs work on its walking cycle. The body should bob up and down, and the arms should move. You can actually achieve the bobbing on a north/south view by simply shifting the sprite up and down when it's in its stepping frames. Also, remember to make the arms swing opposite to the legs, or else he'll look like he's waddling.

Quick note on ninjas: they don't wear armor. Armor would slow them down and make noise, and ninjas are meant to be fast and silent. Also, long swords wouldn't really be used by ninjas either; they prefer small, easily-concealed weapons, and only use them as a last resort. A better outfit would be something made of dark, cold-colored cloth, but not black, since black stands out in the moonlight. Green through violet are the preferred hues worn by ninjas, since they blend well at night.

Thanks on the feedback...again, this is my first time making sprites, so I'm just keeping things really simple for this first 'Test' Mobile Game (more focused on getting the programming/behaviors down atm). And I do have a GiF of Ninja#1 bobbing, so I will try to post it here soon.

As for lesson on Ninja, well, technically, Ninja (or Ninjas) can wear anything they want...most of the time, they are dressed in 'normal' everyday wear (since they are spies and don't wanna stand out too much, XD). But as for the 'Ninja' romanticized in today's pop culture, they are seen as covert 'Warriors', and must have various gear to protect them:

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden:
[Image: ryu_hayabusa___prepare_to_face_me__by_sh...77lopm.jpg]

Hotsuma from Shinobi (PS2):
[Image: s_screen004.jpg]

And please don't get me started on Raiden (MGR:r):
[Image: 641726-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-pla...raiden.jpg]

Not anything 'heavy', but a lightweight kevlar type would suffice. As for the colors, it's known that back in the Shogunate days, they didn't really wear black, but either a really dark midnight Blue or Dark Grey (like Ninja#2). I just went with Black b/c it contrasted better with my favorite color, Turquoise.

As for the sword, yea, I exaggerated it a bit (just like some other games/comics tend to do), so don't try to instill too much 'realism' into it, Wink
Don't wanna make a new thread, here's some game maps I've made in GameMaker.  I would like to know which pixel size I should use:  32 or 64?

32pixel Map:

[Image: NCGNTAW.png]

Or 64pixel Map:

[Image: Mn13dAS.png]
Well, I changed up the game format, now it's gonna be more of a shooter type game.  Here's two new Ninja Sprites; added some 'arm' movement to the walking animations:

Ninja Soldier:

[Image: RG7Vb9T.gif]

KuniSlasher:

[Image: QckMDVS.gif]

Again, the game has a top-down perspective.  Any feedback would be welcome... Wink  
(10-17-2014, 04:22 PM)cuedaninja Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I changed up the game format, now it's gonna be more of a shooter type game.  Here's two new Ninja Sprites; added some 'arm' movement to the walking animations:

Ninja Soldier:

[Image: RG7Vb9T.gif]

KuniSlasher:

[Image: QckMDVS.gif]

Again, the game has a top-down perspective.  Any feedback would be welcome... Wink  

Maybe these could help you a little. 
The thing that you need to keep in mind about NES games is that in most cases, any 8x8 pixel region on sprites has a limit of 3 colors + transparency. additionally, there's a set color palette that the console is capable of utilizing; and there's also a limit to how many colors, and sprites for that matter, that can be displayed onscreen at a time.

As for a top-down perspective, I wouldn't use Megaman sprites as a reference (and really, using Megaman as a ref for NES sprites is a common mistake since there are handfuls of programming tricks that that series uses to do what they do) It would be a better exercise for you to try using 3 colors max when aiming for an NES aesthetic, not only for accuracy, but also to learn how to make more recognizable sprites that are readable at their normal size.

The dark blue you are using bleeds into the black, so any detail that is put there is totally lost.
(10-17-2014, 06:16 PM)Sketchasaurus Wrote: [ -> ]The thing that you need to keep in mind about NES games is that in most cases, any 8x8 pixel region on sprites has a limit of 3 colors + transparency. additionally, there's a set color palette that the console is capable of utilizing; and there's also a limit to how many colors, and sprites for that matter, that can be displayed onscreen at a time.

As for a top-down perspective, I wouldn't use Megaman sprites as a reference (and really, using Megaman as a ref for NES sprites is a common mistake since there are handfuls of programming tricks that that series uses to do what they do)  It would be a better exercise for you to try using 3 colors max when aiming for an NES aesthetic, not only for accuracy, but also to learn how to make more recognizable sprites that are readable at their normal size.

The dark blue you are using bleeds into the black, so any detail that is put there is totally lost.

Well, I'm going for 8-bit type graphics amd charm, but not necessarily 8-bit aesthetics...for example, many of the character 'sprites' and a few 'objects' will be 8-bit, but the music, some of the stages, weapons, etc. will have updated or higher res 'graphics' and 'music'.  So I'm taking some artistic liberty with the project; not going for a by-the-numbers, accurate replication.

Just doing my own style, if ya kno what I mean,  Cool!

And yea, again, I'm kinda going against the grain basing my sprites for a top down game off of one from a side scroller.  But while currently designing it, it looks good and fits into place from my perspective.

As for the Dark Blue, well, as stated in the previous posts, that's the true color most Ninja (or Ninjas) wore back in the feudal Japan days.  Again, from my perspective it doesn't look bad at all.

But thx for your feedback.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4870]

Nice sprite sheet, decent looking Ninja, but my game is Top down...
Doing your own style is one thing, but mixing 8-bit with higher stuff is going to look terrible. You should do one or the other.
That is true. It'll just come off as a visual disaster.
(10-19-2014, 04:03 PM)cuedaninja Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I'm going for 8-bit type graphics and charm, but not necessarily 8-bit aesthetics...

I'm honestly kind of confused by this statement.
Considering that graphics are aesthetics, you're going for 8-bit graphics but not necessarily 8-bit graphics.
What? Either pick one or the other.

I don't understand this fascination that people have with making "8-bit" while refusing to take into account the things that make 8-bit 8-bit.

Edit- I noticed in the OP you said that these are simple graphics for a test game so if all they are is temporary placeholders while you play around, that's fine. If that's the case I apologize for coming off as abrasive.
But if you're asking for actual C+C on things you that intend to put in a game that you intend to ship and this is your result, that sort of thing won't cut it.
Ok, I have to chime in on something because this is a problem that I had to deal with in the past as well.

There is nothing wrong with DOS style or Final Fantasy 2 or Earthbound style sprites.

A lot of people don't like them, because they seem clashy, but they aren't bad. Just do what it is you like to do. And don't let other peoples opinions get you down.

I used to submit a lot of sprites like this on Pixeltendo, and got flamed to death for it. Just keep doing what your doing. I personally love these sprites. Keep up the good work Cute.
That's... definitely not how it works.
I don't remember you but if you've been around long enough to know what PT is, you should already know that.

There is nothing wrong with 8-bit as long as the other things in the game are 8-bit as well. "Clashy" is not a compliment nor is it a good thing.
Aiming for style before the basic design principles of ANY art is a surefire way to limit your own growth as an artist. In no way does the "it's my style" argument hold any weight. I don't want to come across as rude, but it's rather arrogant to dismiss critique and brush it off with what essentially sounds like "oh, I don't want to learn anything because I don't need to"

The best kind advice that I've ever heard regarding artistic endeavors is the following:

Learn the basics of your medium before making your own style, learn to draw what you see before drawing what you "know"; learn how to follow the rules before bending or breaking them.
In short: "We must learn to walk before we can run"

I see a spark of motivation to do good work here, let us help you by being a fresh set of eyes. A lot of the folks here know what they're talking about, trust me and trust them. While it's nice to have people compliment your work, the ones who give honest criticism are the most valuable because they're the ones that really drive you to improve and be better. I hope that my words help and that you're at least willing to try some stuff out, because who knows? maybe you'll try something new and realize "hey, I actually like this a lot better!" That first step is usually the hardest to take, but it's always worth it.
(10-22-2014, 01:40 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]That's... definitely not how it works.
I don't remember you but if you've been around long enough to know what PT is, you should already know that.

There is nothing wrong with 8-bit as long as the other things in the game are 8-bit as well. "Clashy" is not a compliment nor is it a good thing.

Not how what works? I was just saying there isn't anything morally or intrinsically 'wrong' with following your own art style, or a DOS style of spriting. Yes I know that people want peoples sprites to look more realistic and more what people consider quality sprites.

And yes, sprites in an 8-bit game should all be 8-bit. Perhaps clashy wasn't the right term, I mean that people just generally don't like DOS sprites because they are too simplistic and often have hard black outlines. Like in Commander Keen for example. However, that doesn't mean people should never ever make them (and I've noticed, that TSR has accepted some DOS styled sprites before).
Pages: 1 2