The VG Resource

Full Version: Nickxels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: q1ZqeTd.png]
I made a tree!

It's not just any tree. It's the first sprite for Bouncy Cat Paradise. A tile to be exact for the first world.

What's Bouncy Cat Paradise?
A sequel game to Bouncy Cat and Bouncy Cat Mao. Neko and Mao are given an assignment from the Rabbit King, ruler of the lunar utopia Paradiso. Princess Nousagi is missing! It's up to our heroes to find and return the Moon Princess!

Bear in mind that no programming is being done or planned whatsoever and that this project's likely to get postponed or worse, canned. However, I really want to work on another game project. Princess Fantasy was the last one I finished, which was well over a year ago.
Looks pretty good to me~ The only think I could suggest is moving that lighting on the leaves and trunk down by like 1 or 2 pixels, so that it makes the object seem more rounded, instead of having the lighting directly next to the outline, and making it look flatter.
[Image: q1ZqeTd.png] -> [Image: KFRx48R.png]

Neko & Princess:
[Image: 4LRBtwM.png][Image: j5KpnFY.png]
[Image: pnzM8pF.png]
Tileset so far for World 1:
[Image: EQSyaDI.png]

Bistro:
[Image: ReifQPJ.png] [Image: 4LRBtwM.png](comparison)

In BC3, all characters have a different navigation ability. Here's what I have in mind so far:
Neko - Press Down in the air to crash down and bounce up real high after hitting the ground. May break certain types of floor.
Princess - Glides using a balloon. Press down to cancel. She can ride air currents this way.
Mao - Press Jump again in mid-air to perform a Double Jump. Mao creates a cloud (like the flowery ones from Bouncy Cat Mao) to do this. Small clouds restores the ability in mid-air for special "Infinite Jump" routes.
Bistro - Yes, if the game gets made, Bistro will be playable as well. He's fast and is able to access tight areas due to his small size.
Hmm, just a couple of things about those tiles:

First, you might want to make the cliffs fade into darkness as they get further inland. It'll add more color variety, but also break up the monotony, especially with the pattern on your tiles. The colors haven't been adjusted yet for the sample below as I've been learning to do less aggressive shifting on the tiles, but they get my point across:

[Image: WoCPreview2_zps0b956a83.png]

Second, from your grassy tops, it looks like they have a lot of shading on the sides to show that the cliff rounds off towards the back. Your cliff edge tiles don't seem to do that, and probably should.

Just for an extra bit of grass detail, how about some tiles for random patches of swaying tall grass?
The Super Mario Bros. and 2D Sonic games didn't have soil fading to dark and that's the route I want to take. To make it less repetitive, I'll add tiles for the soil with rocks, fossils, etc. I'll shade the ground/grass sides later, but first:

[Image: 1GJSubf.gif]
Just look at him run! He's not afraid to show he's the fastest playable character!
[Image: Fd9EtZ7.gif]

Tiles shadified:
[Image: L0pTC81.png] Test image:[Image: hSeEIDz.png]
Running animation looks pretty good and smooth! It looks like it's missing 2 frames though; one after the 3rd, and one after the last.

The shaded edges look good too~
Terrain variety!
[Image: EGq3aCw.png]
Bridge parts and block added. Also added ground tiles with extra black so it connects seamlessly with the bridge parts.
[Image: kMRZFHc.png]

Have some Mao:
[Image: 6UMpFuu.png]
What's going on with the perspective now? Is this a profile platformer, or a topdown platformer? Those random blocks of wood floating in the air are profile, but the other tiles like the bridge is top-down. You should have some consistency here.
I'll add a top-side tile to the block later when I can. I'll work a little on the bride as well. Was making sprites all day, so I got a little lazy.

EDIT:
Redid the bridge. Also added grass variety.
[Image: 8uhhALR.png] Test:[Image: PS9FgEy.png]
i get a pretty big snes vibe for these! maybe its the banding on the main grass tiles that makes me feel this way hahah!

anyways, the tree looks somewhat odd. i think its too symmetreecal for a regular tree. try being a bit more varied with the design. i found some ref thats simple since i think thats what youre going for

a another shade for green should also be used for detail purposes, but i guess ill leave that up to you.
Been working on what you could call the Castle level of the first World (Spring Garden). It's the shrine where the Earth Dragon lives.

The Earth Dragon is another variation of Balloon Dragon (Bouncy Cat), Peridot Dragon (Bouncy Cat Mao) and Viridian Dragon (Princess Fantasy) by the way.

[Image: u1INf8q.png]
[Image: hIUl02I.png]
I love your backgrounds!
[Image: EnQjPkJ.png]
Better arches, ground tiles and a statue!

Merged the sheets and added broken column tiles.
[Image: E2VLtVm.png]
Mmmm... Treelicious. (W.i.p. obviously)

[Image: b2PVFmw.png]
Tree is done. Now working on Neko and Princess' house. (So far only appeared in the comic)
Pages: 1 2