The VG Resource

Full Version: Mystie's Models That Need Fixing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is where I will put my models that need just a bit of a fixer-upper. Feel free to give me a hand!

So far, I only have one that needs fixing. Apparently, from what Peardian told me, there's a problem in 3DSMax that causes her hands to move away from her body when posing her. (I have not encountered the problem in Blender, and since I can't afford 3DSMax, that's why I'm leaving it here for others to help me out with)

LINK REMOVED, ALREADY FIXED (Thanks Lunar Archivist!)

Includes a version with the shadow meshes, and one without them.
I don't have the software either, but I downloaded it just to check some things out. There is room to improve the model. I don't know if these will fix the problems with the model, but it here are some things you could try. First off, you could try joining the parts of the dae models together by selecting them and pressing ctrl and J. You could also try the smooth shading trick for blender to remove doubles of both the obj and dae files. (make sure all really thin parts of the model are not selected. This has messed up Jinzo's loincloth or whatever you want to call it, Tigress's facial fur behind the ears, and Crane's feathers for me in the past. Ctrl and Z should reverse it if you make a mistake.)

Here's the tutorial:
http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-25181.html
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to help you with that Bayonetta model. I've just been really busy lately. Sick
(08-13-2014, 12:54 AM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yeah, I've been meaning to help you with that Bayonetta model. I've just been really busy lately. Sick

It's fine, take your time. No need to rush. Smile
I've been working with 3DS Max for two years now. I'm far from an expert, but maybe I can figure out what's going on if I can have a closer look at it.
(08-16-2014, 05:45 PM)Lunar Archivist Wrote: [ -> ]I've been working with 3DS Max for two years now. I'm far from an expert, but maybe I can figure out what's going on if I can have a closer look at it.

Sure, go ahead!

By the way, that reminds me: If any of you are able to fix up my models, you're free to submit them to TMR yourself. Just remember to list me as one of the submitters, K? Wink
(08-16-2014, 08:25 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, go ahead!

By the way, that reminds me: If any of you are able to fix up my models, you're free to submit them to TMR yourself. Just remember to list me as one of the submitters, K? Wink

I don't think I have enough time to fix anything up until my animation demo reel is ready, but maybe I'll have time after that. Smile

The question now is where exactly do I find this model? You've posted a link to a Bayonetta model before, but I don't think it's the same as this one. That one had no textures and some serious polygonal anomalies in it.

EDIT 1: Never mind, I was unfamiliar with this forum's tendency to link images of 3D models to archive files. Checking now.

EDIT 2: Just had a look. I don't see any problems off the top of my head with Shadow Mesh Bayonetta. She may have multiple hands, but when I move her arm, the hands move with it.

The other Bayonetta model, on the other hand - no pun intended - doesn't load correctly in either 3DS Max 2013 or 2014 and the meshes for the hands are completely absent. Maybe they aren't attached to the main mesh or have somehow had the Skin modifier removed from them?
I don't know if the Skin modifier was removed or not. Like I said, I only have Blender to work with, and in Blender the hands are there.
I know it's not legal but you could always torrent 3d studio max Mystie.
(08-16-2014, 11:18 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if the Skin modifier was removed or not. Like I said, I only have Blender to work with, and in Blender the hands are there.

*nods* I know you mentioned only working in Blender and not 3DS Max, but my comment was more aimed at Peardian than you.

I'm not sure if you're at all familiar with 3DS Max, but, assuming you're not, in a nutshell, "Skin" is a modifier which is applied to a mesh or group of meshes so that you can associate them with bones (and thus the associated envelopes and weight tables used for deformations/animations).

The Bayonetta model isn't one solid mesh but made up of several separate ones, of which the hands are but two. Near as I can figure, the reason the hands don't move with the rest of the model is because they've been dissociated from it somehow. If that is indeed the case, then this might be a bit complicated to fix without the weight tables for the hands.
There's a similar function in blender, if I am not mistake. I think it was vertex groups or something. I could be wrong.
Updated with the arms and hands as one combined mesh, rather than separate meshes. Give it a try and tell me if it works now.

(On a side-note, I also added the "Serious Mode" hair to the archive. I was initially going to upload it as a separate model, but I thought that doing so would just be silly, so it's now included along with her.)
(08-20-2014, 08:29 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]Updated with the arms and hands as one combined mesh, rather than separate meshes. Give it a try and tell me if it works now.

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Was attending a convention this weekend.

I regret to inform you that it didn't work. Now, both the hands and the arms are missing when I open the file bayo_default.dae in 3DS Max. Sad

While I did the following last time and neglected to mention the results, I'd like to note that attempting to open the file bayo_default.obj in 3DS Max triggers the following error message:

error in file: meshName = shapeName

I did a little digging and found out that this indicates that the model has polygons with an "illegal" number of vertices, i.e. 1 or 2 instead of 3 or 4. Blender appears to be more tolerant of such polygonal anomalies than 3DS Max is.

I can't do much from my end since I don't have Blender (and can't install it right now either), but perhaps you can take a closer look at Bayonetta's hands and see if all the polygons in them are tris or quads. That seems to be the part of the mesh where the problems are.

Do you have any idea what version of 3DS Max your friend has? 2013 and 2014 seem to have a lot of trouble importing these models, but if your friend has an older version, he might have an easier time doing so and can fix the geometry problems from there.
I have no idea what version Peardian is using, sorry. Sad

Anyway, I updated the archive again, this time I removed doubles on the hands, thinking that this may solve the problem. Smile
(08-24-2014, 10:37 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I updated the archive again, this time I removed doubles on the hands, thinking that this may solve the problem. Smile

[attachment=4656]

The picture says it all. Smile

On a more serious note, bayo_default.obj finally opens for me, but the mesh is completely messed up. The most apt description would be "Bed Head Bayonetta".

While bayo_default.dae has Bayonetta surrounded by some kind of polygonal junk and random spline miasma when I open it in 3DS Max, her hands not only appear but also move when the arm and hand bones are moved. So problem fixed I guess. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2