The VG Resource

Full Version: Mr. Y Sprites Sometimes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The forums got reset? Perfect time to take advantage of my clean slate.

Here, have some Mario crap!

[Image: hCSnuce.png]

[Image: OsGJP0o.png]

...and in case you don't want to see comparisons
[Image: aF3Wr4z.png]

Will I do something more with these? Hell if I know, but it's good practice.

C + C and c(s)uch are greatly appreciated!
They're pretty good! However, they could definitely use better colours, especially the Galoomba. Something about the shade of brown he is and his really dark green shoes just doesn't mesh well to the eyes for me Ded;
Mario and Luigi look best in the 2014 version, but I think Toad and the princesses should have their 2013 faces on their 2014 bodies. Especially the princesses. *shudders at those creepy smiles*
@Rystar and Midi
[Image: P8Dn6ru.png]

Changed Toad and the princesses' default expressions to something more benign (the grins were growing on me a bit, so I'll probably use those for victory animations or somethin')

Also, upon closer inspection, Galoombas seem to have more of a reddish-brown shade in 3D World, so I went with that.
Not too shabby.

However, I think your characters seem a bit unbalanced, their heads don't seem to be properly aligned to their bodies (try using the old "flip horizontally" trick to check if the alignment is correct or not), I suggest moving everybody's heads one pixel forward.

The princesses could use some more work, actually. The contrast is so low on their faces, they are almost unintelligible. The blue on the eyes is so light that it blends with her face, just like their mouths. Their shoulders also look uncomfortably stiff, I think you should move them around as well. Their heads also look kind of blocky, especially Daisy's. Here's an edit (mostly on Peach) to help you out.

[Image: XtrubJ3.png]
So I tried that image flip trick on each of the characters and found out that good lord I'm gonna have to so something about Toad. Thanks Iocus!

[Image: 6YYz2OB.png]

Nearly redid Toad's head completely, balanced the bros.' heads forward a bit, and fixed up Peach and Daisy a bit. Someone let me know if I'm on the right track.

I also attempted to make Luigi's head more Luigi-like (i.e., pencil-neck).
Peach and Daisy could use a little more work. Their dresses seem thin and the hands look strange.
Because they are such small sprites details are hard to add, so doing certain shading can compensate for this. I added some detail shading to the hair. The color of the skin is too close to white in my opinion it kind of runs together so I darkened it in my edit.
[Image: DL29CoK.png]
[Image: 7KEt2yj.png]

Not nearly done with these two, but it's getting late over here. Be back tomorrow.

EDIT:
[Image: w2CzDJw.png]

In addition to that...

[Image: TrGbBA1.gif]

Very unfinished.